Watchtower's New "Toy Story" - What Parents Need To Know

by cedars 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

I found the videos very upsetting. I see the organization twisting and perverting into something worse and more cult like every. Its not as if it was ever anything wonderful but its getting so far away from anything even loosely a legitimate christian faith and becoming more and more something I dont recognize. It makes me feel more isolated and more freakish that I am a product of an environment that doesnt even really exsist anymore. I grew up with the yellow bible stories book and that traumatized me enough (babies dying in the flood :s) but this these videos I dont even want to imagine what their impact is going to be on these children. My neice and nephew are being raised witnesses right now and Im sure they excitedly got this dvd at their assembly and have watched it a million times by now. This amping up of mind control at a young age makes me thing its going to be harder in the future for people to get free and that is devastating to me :(

• cedars
    cedars

freedomisntfree

This amping up of mind control at a young age makes me thing its going to be harder in the future for people to get free and that is devastating to me :(

Very true. Through all the hilarity that Sparlock-gate has brought with it, we shouldn't lose sight of the real danger that this video poses to young people and their critical thinking skills. That's why I plan to do everything I can to draw attention to how damaging this new DVD is.

Here is my new video, which I hope will help to spread the word.

It's the first of what I hope will be many jwsurvey.org videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wvo71QG7k4

Cedars

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Oh so cool! My "OBEY" graphic made it in there too. Just doing my part.

OBEY or we will kill Sparlock

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

I like it.

Bob

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

KURTBETHEL - love your Barbara Kruger-style GB! Excellent job!

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think Caleb's friend has learned a valuable lesson - JWs are ungrateful. Imagine if the scenario was reversed. Caleb gave his friend something that he spent his own money on to please his friend, and the friend just discarded it. Poor Caleb would be hurt, but he'd also learn that 'Worldly' people are thoughtless etc.

Interesting way of looking at it. I actually had this happen with my JW girlfriend (now wife) when I bought her a locket back when we were dating. It a very pretty locket but because it had a cross on it, her mom said that she could not have it and she even went and returned it in front of me. That made me feel pretty bad.

Stupid cult.

• cedars
    cedars

kurtbethel - yes, I absolutely loved that graphic. It's a very powerful image. I'm glad you were happy for me to use it in the video!!

Meanwhile, it looks like word of Sparlock continues to spread in the non-JW world. Here is an atheist website that has picked up on the exploits of Caleb and his "inappropriate" toy...

http://goodreasonblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/creepy-jehovahs-witness-video.html

Cedars

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I've been almost out of action on here for the last few days due to the continuing effects of my accident two weeks ago and a house full of family.

I'm trying to catch up with such developments as catch my eye, but I'm limited as to how long I can sit at the PC.

Interesting that the video is being picked up by bloggers unconnected with JW's!

• Pig
    Pig

Sorry this post is long, but I'll try to express how the psychology of this video would have effected me.

You know, if I had of watched this video when I was young I think my reaction would have been ...

"That boy was naughty; he made mummy sad by bringing a naughty toy home, he did the wrong thing"

I grew up to have little empathy for others because I had little "empathy" for myself. We were all just a bunch of sinners who had to follow the rules. Like a sport. You don't feel sorry for someone when they break a rule. You say "he broke a rule, he was bad".

I also learnt not to have passion or attachment. It's like you never know if something you like is wrong. I'd be watching something completely innocent on TV and my dad would come in "No, I don't like you watching this" turned it off no explanation. This gives you a weird mindset that you never want to get involved in life because you'll just get hurt when you find out dad wont let you do something.

So when I met a new friend, "dad probably won't like him"

When I got a new toy, "dad probably won't like it"

Listen to a new song "dad probably won't like it".

It is CRUCIAL to get approval from your father. Have you ever liked something that all your friends hate it and it makes you think "well maybe it isn't that good". Or have you ever not liked something but all your friends did and the peer pressure made you a fan?

When you show a large amount of emotion or passion for something, then you are gunned down, you look like a total idiot. It hurts twice as much.

It is much easier to never show passion or emotion. And that's what I did.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

PIG - like your post, it makes perfect sense. You get any sense of identity beaten out of you (often literally) and walk around checking off things that's are forbidden, can't do, can't form relationship. It's disastrous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit