Watchtower's New "Toy Story" - What Parents Need To Know

by cedars 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I've uploaded a new blog article that addresses the latest DVD release at the current district convention, namely "Become Jehovah's Friend!" - the tale of young Caleb and his brush with divine wrath over a plastic toy wizard. A link to the article, which includes the YouTube samples of the production, is below:

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-watchtowers-new-toy-story-what-parents-need-to-know

I've expressed quite clearly on this forum the personal anger and indignation I feel towards the Society for producing "Lesson 2 - Obey Jehovah", which is one of the two animated short stories on the DVD. I feel it's important to give this issue as much exposure as possible in an attempt to forewarn JW parents (many of whom have not yet attended the convention) of the video's hidden dangers. I truly feel that, if watched repeatedly by little ones, it could seriously weaken their critical thinking skills in the long term.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure this is my best ever article because it was written with a degree of personal anguish. Therefore, if you have any helpful suggestions as to how I would amend the article to give it greater impact, I would VERY much appreciate any such input.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

(As always, if you haven't yet voted on the 2012 JW survey, please do so!)

Cedars

• Scully
    Scully

omg that video was sickening.

• Think About It
    Think About It

That was a sickening video. Most JW moms would have grabbed that wizard and threw it in the trash themselves, then beat the little guy for accepting it and bringing the demons into the house. It should be obvious to people by now that the JW's are a religious mind-control cult.

Think About It

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That is horrible animation. The mother's voice is very annoying. The kid looks scared. And the landfill is going to become demonized.

Seriously, this is child abuse. You'd think they kid came home with a crack pipe and crack rocks or heroin and the works.

Family Worship?

What, this is for parents who are too lazy to scare the kids themselves?

• blondie
    blondie

What about the parents that play "forbidden" videos and go to evil movies. I'm watching the last segment of Lord of the Rings and watched the Potter series on ABCFamily just some weeks ago. I was told by jws that Potter was bad because the humans practiced magic but in LOTR humans did not practice magic....so was okay to watch. How many Disney movies do jw parents approve?

What about Brave coming up. Is she a good example of a jw woman?

How many Disney movies can you think of with witches or magic as a theme?

Snow White

Sleeping Beauty

Fantasia

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

The Mermaid

Peter Pan

Pinocchio

Cinderella

Darby OGill and the Little People

Sword in the Stone

Beauty and the Beast

• cedars
    cedars

Blondie - I too have heard innuendo and hearsay about Lord of the Rings being taboo. If you watch it, you don't go telling other brothers about it, just in case they would be stumbled. I remember receiving a fairly pointed bit of counsel at an assembly once where Harry Potter was mentioned in all but name - so that was always a little more than just taboo.

However, with all of these things, the understanding was that these were matters of personal conscience. Now the Society is going one step further, and setting things in stone with this awful film. The trouble is, if you draw the line with a plastic toy wizard - where else do you draw the line? Your list of films, all of which are perfectly harmless, are great examples of how things can spiral out of control. It appears the Society is now embarking down this troubling path.

Your conscience is no longer your own.

Cedars

• designs
    designs

Seems they are following the Fundamentalist's playbook.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Loaded with fear, they obviously feel the need to start early.

Let's hope this video wakes a few up, It certainly made me feel sick to my stomach.

Peace

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Nice article Cedars. This part will hopefully make some people think:

These are all merely baseless implications that are thrown at Caleb by his mother, to which he eventually yields. The over-riding tone of this particular short story is “don’t ask, just obey”. This is precisely what the Society has always asked us to do in their publications, especially by means of spurious teachings such as “increasing light” and “waiting on Jehovah”. However, it is one thing to suppress the critical thinking skills of adults, but it strikes me as wholly wrong and frankly immoral to inflict such backwards ideology on young and impressionable minds from infancy. Such thinking sets children up for the worst possible start in life, and robs them of valuable cognitive tools

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Zombies in training

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit