I used to be a JW! Shocking, I know

by NewChapter 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• botchtowersociety
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.

My eyes roll back into my skull when I hear that platitude. Ironically, I hear it used most by those who believe a snake talked our great grandma into eating a piece of naughty fruit and that's ultimately why the Guinea worm exists.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's not so bad. I stand for evidence. I don't stand for 'there is no god'. So I stand for something.

• caliber
    caliber

another platitude to think about then .. "In the absence of truth (absolute truth) , power is the only game in town."

If Absolute truth exists we must face these questions

What is the meaning of life ? Why are we here ? Does it matter whether I am good or bad, or is there any such thing as goodness and badness ? What happens when I die ? Will I be called to account by the Judge of the Universe or will I not ? Does he exist anyway ?

What is prime reality - the really real ?
    What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us ?
    What is a human being ?

Why is it possible to know anything at all ?
    How do we know what is right and wrong ?
    What is the meaning of human history ?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems,
    there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and
    most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few
    breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

One might invent such a fable and still not have illustrated sufficiently how wretched, how
    shadowy and flighty, how aimless and arbitrary, the human intellect appears in nature. There
    have been eternities when it did not exist; and when it is done for again, nothing will have
    happened. For this intellect has no further mission that would lead beyond human life. It is
    human, rather, and only its owner and producer gives it such importance, as if the world pivoted
    around it. But if we could communicate with the mosquito, then we would learn that he floats
    through the air with the same self-importance, feeling within itself the flying center of the world.
    There is nothing in nature so despicable or insignificant that it cannot immediately be blown up
    like a bag by a slight breath of this power of knowledge; and just as every porter wants an
    admirer, the proudest human being, the philosopher, thinks that he sees on the eyes of the
    universe telescopically focused from all sides on his actions and thoughts."

-Nietzsche, On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Great quote.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

You used be a JW, what do you know about quotes?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

SweetBabyCheezits So very true.

Humans were the last species to appear on planet earth and are likely to be the first to leave. For every human there are at least 1.5 million ants. Now I haven’t personal counted them but I have faith that whoever did was not telling porkies.

Ants are great survivors and would survive despite, nuclear warfare, famine, bent politicians and a worldwide collapse of computers and commuters. And all without religion!

My money is on the ant - though snails are nicer to eat.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Long live the almighty ant!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

And ants never get baptized as JW's, so they will always get to keep their credibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit