Scientific reasons for belief in God v moral arguments against belief

by yadda yadda 2 97 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

I haven't yet . . . but I see it's available on line. Looks entertaining though . . . I'll give it a whirl.

http://usenet-hd-movies.com/f.php?movid=ExitThroughtheGiftShop(2010)&m=b&id=289675437

• designs
    designs

You do realize the Mormon god is taller than the christian god 6'2" v 5'6"

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My brother is a huge fan of street art, and his professional and personal life takes him to NYC quite a bit. He runs around the city taking pics of the cooler ones, and brings them home for me to look at. His desktop on his comp has a pic of a Dumpster with No Babies spray painted on it. I don't know if he took that pic though. I looked for it on line, and have found versions, but not the one he has, so he may have found it himself. Anyway---sick humor----loving it.

• James Brown
    James Brown
    Jesus has been knocking on everyones door for my lifetime and thru out recorded history. . . . JB

Aha . . . a scientific reason for belief in God. Just what I've been looking for.

Any other gems from the lab?

The scientific reasons I gave were the earths relationship to the sun and the moon and the earths tilt on its axis the tides

and the narrow temperature range life exist in.

Jesus knocking on everyones door in my lifetime was my non scientific observation that I have made and commented on.

I would say non scientifically its my observation that Jesus has called on every atheist on this board and every atheist on

this board is in the process of saying no, and listing their reason why.

Every atheist on this board was once a JW and once read the bible and is telling Jesus no and listing the reasons.

Thats not scientific its just one persons observation. Do you think that observation is wrong?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think you are right that we are saying NO---but not correct on knocking part. If we are atheists, we are saying no to the idea that Jesus is knocking. It's simply not happening, so we need not answer.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Science itself rests on epistemic premises that cannot be scientifically proven. This is Godel's incompleteness theorem at work. Basically, no system of formal logic can prove its premises. You have to step outside the system to do so, if that is even possible.

With science these are premises like: the world we perceive is real and we are able to understand its true nature, cause precedes effect, and what laws we discover are universally applicable.

For science to work, you have to assume (believe) these kinds of things are necessarily true. Science itself cannot be used to prove them.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Every atheist on this board was once a JW and once read the bible and is telling Jesus no and listing the reasons.
    Do you think that observation is wrong?

Yes I do. I spent many years telling Jesus "yes" after leaving the cult . . . through pleadings and tears.

It seems from his lack of response, that we are no longer on speaking terms.

• James Brown
    James Brown

knocking is a metaphor to say that his presence and desire is known.

You know his story and words are in the bible and you know from the bible he is knocking and wants to come in.

Jesus and God want to have a relationship with mankind. That is the story of the bible. To get right with God.

To accept Jesus as your savior.

John 3:16 says

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

You know that and every atheist here knows that. And for many sundry reasons you are saying no.

The knock is a metaphor for the words in the bible, Jesus wants you to have faith in him.

The atheist have written books on why they cant have faith.

I have to agree with you Literally Jesus is not knocking on your door.

I can also accept that you do not believe in the bible or Jesus.

You dont see any need and think its foolish.

• mP
    mP

Which God are we talking about. The xians, who supposedly have the one holy book, cant decide for themselves, there are over 30000 different variations.

• James Brown
    James Brown
    Do you think that observation is wrong?

Yes I do. I spent many years telling Jesus "yes" after leaving the cult . . . through pleadings and tears.

It seems from his lack of response, that we are no longer on speaking terms.

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm sorry for your pain is what I mean.

If you find more comfort in being an atheist, power to you.

I will say in 60 years I have had my share of sorrow, loss and tears and I have found comfort

from the bible. Sometimes the comfort is that all things will pass and this tribulation will pass also.

Thats pretty simple. Maybe you are looking for something more grandoise and complicated.

And maybe I have settled for something too simple.

But it works for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit