Scientific reasons for belief in God v moral arguments against belief

by yadda yadda 2 97 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

S&G just confirmed my point. You cannot use the scientific method to build a case for gods. So why try? Just be happy believing, but stop trying to bring science into it. The two are incapatible.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    exactly qcmbr - I'm afraid you have to remain in your stated inability to comprehend. dismiss it cause it doesn't make sense. cue newchapter who also repeatedly states her inability to understand

soft+gentle, can you summarize and explain your post and the point of the quote in your own words for the benefit of everyone?

I'd like to hear your take on it and how it relates to the discussion.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

science isn't only about the scientific method - this is quite reductive and most assuredly isn't all that science is about. A huge aspect of science is experimental nature testing the limits to which it can go. Both religion and science agree on one thing - that the scientific method can only go so far

science is an exciting subject - you guys make it sound boring

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

twitch pls see my post above, you doubting thomas

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Ok s&g - sheesh.

The utterly amazing experimentation process produces incredible results when compared with the asinine, stupid and largely arse in the buttcheek assumptions that superstition conjures up. The bodacious laws that the scientific method has allowed us to discover have doubled lifespans in the last 150 years, yehaw, and have given us tools that enhance our intellect and knowledge base. One is most disappointed to find that despite the awesomeness that is science people would rather trust in gastric movements and talking to their duvet ( while paying a modest price to the priest ) than ditch the mythic crapulence and stand magnificent in the wonder that is google.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Science is science. You atheist are every bit as guilty about bringing God into the argument as believers

are.

If you are scientist go about your business.

I'll give you another hint this is not a scientific posting board.

You are far more in the wrong place than any believers are.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

it seems to me that believers here mostly agree with you qcmbr about the magnificence of scientific discoveries and the progress this has enabled - I reckon they would also agree with you about the dangers of superstitious thinking. It is just that the scientific method does not address epistemologcial questions because it cannot - philosophy and religion do and therefore complement science.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

science isn't only about the scientific method

But the scientific method is the only way to overcome bias, and without it, modern science would not even exist. So you are fine with the knowledge that the scientific method has yielded, you just don't fully respect the silly little process.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

twitch - did I pass?

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

newchapter - you have this strange habit of creating strawman arguments

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit