Scientific reasons for belief in God v moral arguments against belief

by yadda yadda 2 97 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

Which God are we talking about. The xians, who supposedly have the one holy book, cant decide for themselves, there are over 30000 different variations.

Have a relationship with the God that delivers the goods.

Dawkins wrote a book the God delusion, he says I'm paraphrasing to get rid of all the Gods throughout history

untill you get to the right one.

The Jehovahs witness are not a Christians organization, They are a counterfit.

Every Christain I have ever met will tell you, Jesus is God.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Not every Christian I have ever met. Many tell me they don't believe that Jesus is god. Some are on this board.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    If you find more comfort in being an atheist, power to you.

It's not comfort I am seeking . . . it's truth. And the truth is not always comfortable.

If the bible was the indisputable bastion of truth it is claimed to be . . . then I too, would believe it with comfort.

But it's not . . . so it doesn't work for me.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Not every Christian I have ever met. Many tell me they don't believe that Jesus is god. Some are on this board.

Jehovahs witnesses are not Christian, they are a cult. They are a counterfit.

I suspect that 95% of the people on this board were JW's at one time, they are not Christian.

The only JW's that are Christian became Christian apart from any JW activity.

• James Brown
    James Brown

It's not comfort I am seeking . . . it's truth. And the truth is not always comfortable.

If the bible was the indisputable bastion of truth it is claimed to be . . . then I too, would believe it with comfort.

I seek truth also and the truth is not always comforting.

When I get real comfortable I look for an injection of truth.

And when the truth knocks me out I look for some comfort.

A lot of people are like me.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I seek truth also and the truth is not always comforting.

When I get real comfortable I look for an injection of truth.

And when the truth knocks me out I look for some comfort.

A lot of people are like me.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Jehovahs witnesses are not Christian, they are a cult. They are a counterfit.I suspect that 95% of the people on this board were JW's at one time, they are not Christian. The only JW's that are Christian became Christian apart from any JW activity.

First of all, I don't think you get to define that. If someone says they believe in Jesus, and that they are a Christian---then they are Chrisitians. Second, that 95% on the board are no longer JW's and some of them claim to be Chrisitans. They are Christians. For that matter, JW's are Chrisitans, and just because you don't agree with them, they believe in Jesus as a savior, and therefore, are Chrisitians. And third, members on this board, who are Christians, have told me they don't believe that Jesus is God, but that he is their savior etc. They say they are Christians, and I certainly don't have the audacity to tell them they are not.

That's the thing about being a Chrisitian. No one owns the word. It is self identification. Just like atheist. I say I don't believe there is evidence for a god, and therefore I am an atheist. No other atheist can actually come along and say that I'm not really an atheist because . . . Nonsense.

There are plenty of Christans that don't believe Jesus is god. Some used to be JW's, many more never were. My ex-Mennonite MIL did not believe that Jesus was god. Are you going to say she was not a real Christian either? I have a Catholic friend that does not believe that Jesus is God---will you tell her that she is not really a Christian? Or better---that she is not Catholic. I think their response could easily be---who gives YOU the authority to decide? You aren't even a Christian either professed or 'counterfeit', and yet you think you can define them?

If someone says they are a Chrisitian, I take them at their word. They don't have to live up to anyone else's personal standards for Christian to claim the title. That would be just silly when you look at how vastly differently people the world over view Christianity. Take a look at Unitarians (Perhaps start with John Adams or Susan B. Anthony). Unitarian means they are not Trinitarians and do not believe that Jesus is god.

NC

NC

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

New Chapter et al, you've kind of hijacked this thread now. Could you please stick to the topic or quit, thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit