Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

I've been out 16 years. What's my excuse FHN?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You're pretty accomplished at this. I hope one day you will understand what it is that you are actually doing. I have a feeling you may wish, at that time, that you could go back and delete a lot of posts.

No FHN. I stand by what I post. Nobody is forced to debate with me. I do not hunt them down. I have been called interesting things by believers. That's all good. Now to James's point, I should be less sensitive than a believer, and I am. I really don't care what believers call me based on my nonbelief. I don't care if they make fun of my stance. I don't care if they predict doom and torture in my future. However I can't help but think there is a double standard here. And again, I don't really care. Try not to assume that I would take back things I have said, because you find them inappropriate.

I have never been pushed to drop F bombs and names against anyone, and if I did, I wouldn't blame anyone but myself.

These conversations can get heated, but so what? Apparenlty the consesus is that atheists should take the higher ground and protect the feelings of believers. I find this interesting.

NC

• james_woods
    james_woods

Cofty makes a good point.

I think this may have been the most constructive thread in getting back the Atheist/Believer peace on JWN that I can remember in many months.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cofty, I haven't read enough of your posts to know if you use the same approach as New Chapter. I don't recall what your back ground is.

New Chapter, maybe you won't change your beliefs, but I think you could be embarrassed by your approach to people who do not share them, one day in the future. I'm thinking a lot of us on this forum feel that way about posts we made early on.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I wouldn't call it a consensus. More of an opinion of a few.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    These conversations can get heated, but so what? Apparenlty the consesus is that atheists should take the higher ground and protect the feelings of believers. I find this interesting.

Yes, this is exactly my point. But, reversed, it could equally apply to the true believer as well. It all depends.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You have to treat most of them just like you would treat a devout JW who has not yet realized that they are in a cult. You can at least still be friends with most of the non-JW believers and it is not necessary to worry about insulting their feelings if you are the least bit careful.

New Chapter: the reason I asked how long it had been since you believed is this: I can see how your approach is affected by being a recent JW. I believe that given time, your approach, towards those who do not share your views, will change.

Well, this has been refreshingly condenscending to both sides. James, I'll wait for believers to just mature a bit, and protect their feelings in the process. FHN, you just wait for me to mature a bit, and then you can take me seriously.

Is this conversation really happening?

NC

• cofty
    cofty

While its true that hard-core belivers won't be de-converted by robust debate often people who are lurking will find it helpful. I have received a few PMs from people who wanted to let me know that their thinking has been changed by reading comments even though they didn't take part.

Its also possible that even the most strident believer will be caused to reflect even if they don't admit it online.

Pretending everybody can all be in the right in their own way is nonsense and helps nobody.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I've been out 16 years. What's my excuse FHN?

I can offer none, sir. Except your cartoon.

I wouldn't call it a consensus. More of an opinion of a few.

Perhaps - but what can you find wrong with it? There is never anything wrong with taking the high ground and refusing a nasty & useless internet word fight.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Is this conversation really happening?"

Yep, and I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with it. But I'm listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit