Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal

by Scott77 67 Replies latest social current

• barry
    barry

As a former Adventists I was just about to post that Marmite is made up at Coorongbong New South Wales at the Seventh Day Adventist Factory there. They also have a College their where students can work to supplement their income while they go through college. The profits go to the church

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Forget Marmite, its for babys. Like I said try PROMITE by Kraft. Its way nicer.

• jemba
    jemba

My husband, although Aussie, loves Bovril... an english spread a bit like marmite. He spreads it on toast and sandwiches. I dont like it but it works well for gravy.

I love vegemite on toast with lots of butter. Its a concentrate so you only need a scraping for lots of flavour. A jar lasts us ages.

My fav vegemite conconction is the new cheesymite, its vegemite mixed with cream cheese. Yummo! Even better on really fresh bread and butter.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks tal!

We have something similar here.....I like it....but it's not to everyones taste...it consists of white fish, lemon, coconut cream, chopped onion and corriander......I'd give your pickled herrings a go.....I love seafood....

Pacific style raw fish...

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL finallysomeprid....a friend of mine has always refused to buy anything Sanatirium because of it being owned by Seventh Day Adventists.....she had a bad experience with an ex boyfriend who was one.

I suppose its a bit like when you throw up....and can't face that food ever again.....

Kellogs is more to her liking since he was disfellowshipped from the SDA church....LOL

The issues that had been simmering came to a head in December 1902 when the Battle Creek Sanitarium, owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, was destroyed by fire. Ellen G. White told Dr. Kellogg not to rebuild it. He decided to ignore her advice, and was able to gain control of the board of directors. He wrote a book titled The Living Temple which he hoped would pay the costs of reconstruction. When the book was published, it was sharply criticized by Ellen G. White for what she considered to be its many statements of pantheism (God is in everything). He made all or almost all the corrections she suggested. But it did not work. In 1907, he was "disfellowshipped".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

• Scott77
    Scott77

Who of you are still eating Vegemite to this date? If you were offered Vegemite or marmite , what you would be your favorite? I deeply appreciate all contributions especially from Aussie and kiwis pals and gals where Vegemite is native. First hand account from known JWN Kiwis like steve2 and sizemik enviably add flavor to the thread in a unique way. Really then, is the U.S influencial Wall Street Journal newspaper screaming headline of 'Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal' really portraying the truth about this strange Aussie-kiwi delicacy or its an exaggeration to attract public attention and sympathy? Like I said before, the truth is the pudding. Scott77

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I eat Vegemite just about every day. I can't get enough, and sometimes will have it multiple times a day as a snack. Sometimes when I don't want to make toast, I will put a dab of it on a spoon and eat it, just so I can get a taste of it. Marmite is Okay, but I much prefer Vegemite.

I have found that many people who don't like it really haven't given it a chance. It can be an acquired taste for some. The only analogy I can think of is a song. The first time you hear it, you may not like it, but then you hear it again, and you think, "Hey, that's not bad, it has a cool beat", then you hear it again, and again, and before long, you buy the CD because it becomes a favorite song, and you can't stop listening to it.

I doubt that I will ever get tired of eating Vegemite. It is a permanent fixture in my life, much like a nice, warm, comfortable relationship.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

People here in Australia think I'm crazy for not liking Vegemite and AFL.

Both make me sick!

3M

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have never tried vegemite. I have always been a bit afraid, nay, phobic about it. I admit that I am being ethnocentric about the whole thing, but I might poke it with a stick one day and see how it reacts. It will be a tentative poke, and I will immediately run and take cover as I watch what happens.

NC

• ammo
    ammo

I've said it before and I'm sayin it again,

I'm a half kiwi and aussie and we both love vegemite!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit