Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal

by Scott77 67 Replies latest social current

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I’ve had Marmite before when I was in England. I loved it! I suppose Vegemite is the same thing?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I had an Australian girlfriend come visit me in Texas, one time. She had already gotten me to try the Vegemite, and I had been spreading it on toast for breakfast.

When she got here, I sat next to her, and began to spread the Vegemite onto the toast. She was next to me making gurgling noises and lots of gestures.

I stopped and asked her... "What??!" She told me that I was spreading it on too thick, and proceeded up scrape off all but a small thin layer of Vegemite.

"Sheesh! You didn't leave any on the toast!" I said.

"Well, any Aussie would be right proud of you for eating that much." she replied.

When I tasted the toast... there was very little Vegemite left to flavor the toast as I had gotten used to. Oh well. I liked the stuff, and haven't eaten it in a while. I still have a jar at home that is almost full. It _is_ an acquired taste though.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Halo
    Halo

We have frequently had a jar of vegemite and one of marmite on our pantry as taste is divided in our house. English marmite and New Zealand marmite are very different, to me English marmite is closer in taste to vegemite than to NZ marmite. NZ marmite is still temporarily unavailable and to some it certainly is black gold and yes it is blacker than either English marmite or vegemite.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Aquired taste for it means it will gag you- The Romans had a femented fish sauce, called garum that they were quite fond of in a ancient times- it's made from the rotted guts of fish-you can still buy this condiment today.

Moshe, this is nothing! The Icelanders have an all-time favourite delicacy. Called hakarl, it's rotten shark meat that has been buried for six months. I've heard that even a whiff can turn the hardiest stomach.

However, in Iceland it is a big delicacy, and is apparently the best way to eat shark meat, which can otherwise be indigestible. It separates the men from the boys, or, if you come from Iceland, the Icelanders from those who are not.

They also like boiled sheep's head.

I liked everything we ate in Iceland, but never tried either of those.

• moshe
    moshe

It's a good thing that Yahweh didn't call that vegemite or the rotten shark, hakarl- manna from heaven- I have a feeling the Jews would have gone straight back to Egypt after one bite.

• karter
    karter

Try it with potato chips between white bread.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I also make little vegemite "Cookies". I use Pringles potato chips, and spread a thin layer of vegemite on each chip. Then I put a little bit of shredded Cheddar cheese on top, and heat them in the microwave just until the cheese starts to melt. Then I immediately put another pringle chip on top and press them together. Then they are ready to devour! The pringles work so well because they are the same shape and they stack together perfectly. It makes a great snack!

I heartily thank my friend BP for sharing with me me the deliciousness that is called Vegemite!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Vegemite is a concentrated yeast extract,and if your allergic to barley give it a miss.

I had to laugh at some of the posts here,very funny

On the plus side I`ve got to try some of the food suggestions

If at first you dont like it, then bloody well keep trying it till you do.

Wars have been started over lesser things than this

smiddy

• talesin
    talesin

This is not the first topic on the Vegemite/Marmite debate. Guess I'm gonna have to try it. I'm SURE it's available here, and I'm pretty sure I know where to find it. I like 'salty' and savoury, so we shall see. :D

t

• talesin
    talesin

Solomon Gundy -- it's a local dish,,, pickled herring with onions and spice. Another 'acquired taste'.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit