Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal

by Scott77 67 Replies latest social current

• still thinking
    still thinking

I like vegemite...one thing the aussies got right...lol

now give us back our pavlova!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    She told me that I was spreading it on too thick, and proceeded up scrape off all but a small thin layer of Vegemite.

Yes, it's meant to be scraped across the bread, not eaten by the spoonful

I heartily thank my friend BP for sharing with me me the deliciousness that is called Vegemite!

You're welcome sweetheart!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It's actually toxic waste, lol.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    Solomon Gundy -- it's a local dish,,, pickled herring with onions and spice. Another 'acquired taste'.

I like the sound of that, Tal! I like herrings in all forms, and onions, so right up my street!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Promite tastes way better than both Marmite and Vegemite anyway but hardly anyone buys it.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I've had Vegemite and Marmite too. Both are truly unpalatable to me. It must be an acquired taste you have to be raised with.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah BTS, I was raised on it. Nowdays, I mainly use it for stock or making gravy. When I was a kid, it was a staple for kid's school lunch but times and tastes have changed a lot.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

A little goes a long way!

• talesin
    talesin

still thinking - for you

• steve2
    steve2

As a New Zealander, I am almost embarrassed to confess that I loathe Marmite but love Aussie Vegemite.

Previous posters are correct:

You do not - repeat DO NOT - ever eat the product by the straight spoonful. If you do, within seconds you will not be able to masticate your food.

Instead, show appropriate restraint: Spread Vegemite lightly on warmly buttered toast (rye bread is best).

Also, if you're into using spoonfuls despite my warnings, here's how to amerliorate your willful disregard for your teeth:

Mix into a warmed cup one level teaspoon of Vegemite, add a cup of boiling water. Stir until the mixture is completely dissolved. Wait for the broth-consistency liquid to cool and drink. Have on hand a slice or two of unbuttered bread to dip into the broth as per your wish - just don't drip it on your freshly pressed white shirt: Vegemite stain-removal is a burden you do not want. Enjoy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit