Aussie Delicacy Vegemite Loses Some of Its Savory Appeal

by Scott77 67 Replies latest social current

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Vegemite, looks like the chinese are screwing with the formula, now that they own the Kraft company. LOL

I've always prefered marmite tho, good New Zealand product

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Marmite or Vegemite ?the only way to find out is Fiiiiggggghhhhhht !!!! (thanks Harry Hill) < for U.K TV viewers only.

I heard a lot about Vegemite, but was disapponted with the product, Marmite has more of a punch, I am sure it would win in a fight between the two.

Other similar products are available, but not worth discussing, this fight alone is the Rumble in the guts, sorry Jungle.

• moshe
    moshe

Aquired taste for it means it will gag you- The Romans had a femented fish sauce, called garum that they were quite fond of in a ancient times- it's made from the rotted guts of fish-you can still buy this condiment today.

-

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The Norwegians also eat a truly disgusting fish dish that resembles the smell of a stinky baby's nappy (diaper)

• Scott77
    Scott77

I think,Aussie and Kiwis should dominate this thread discussions to educate us about Vegemite decalicacy. I am glad steve2 on onboard.

Scott77

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I never had the stuff but the first time i heard of it was the song I come from the land down under by men at work

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Scott77:

I have a close relative who lived in NZ for a while. They brought back a jar of this stuff and I ate a spoonful of it. Yuck.

I thought I was eating mushed up bullion cubes.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I cannot fathom why someone would not like Vegemite.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Scott77:

I have a close relative who lived in NZ for a while. They brought back a jar of this stuff and I ate a spoonful of it. Yuck.I thought I was eating mushed up bullion cubes.

LongHairGal

Hi LongHairGal,

I think, your first time experience with Vegemite may have been bitter and distasteful and perhaps shocking at its worst.Nevertheless,the truth is in the pudding. To the extent that the ubiquitous pizza is purely Italian though it has been internationalized with the USA being the top consumer, Vegemite first introduced in 1923, remains uniquely and culturally Australian. It may be that, no delicacy has elicited as much like and dislike as Vegemite. Scott77

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Vegemite is one of my all time favorite foods. We just ordered more last night. When the jar gets low, I start getting stressed that the new one will get here by the time I run out. It is like an addiction for me. I like mine slathered on buttered toast. There is nothing better in the culinary world. Every once in a while, they sell it by the big 5 pound plastic tubs. I need to save up, because the buckets cost about $120. It is soooo worth it though! It does get to be a little expensive buying it in jars, as a 220g jar costs around $14 with shipping, and only lasts about 3 weeks if I use it sparingly. I would love to use gobs of it, but it would just cost too much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit