My mother is trying to indoctrinate my 4 year old and I do not know what to do

by jwfacts 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I agree with mouthy, hamsterbait and eveeryone else.

Speaking as a grandmother, I can't imagine that any grandmother would risk not seeing her grandchild. But this is not an ordinary gran. She is a JW gran. Be absolutely definite and firm, and supervise, be within earshot. Limit the contact to what you can control.

Also, be very very careful. My observation of JW's is that they are so brainwashed themselkves that they are like hypnotised beings, or robots. They're on automatic, programmed to get the J-word in where they can.They just can't help themselves.

I'd say, for the time being think of your mum a a fire hazard, and you wouldn't risk Zac by putting him in danger from the flame, would you?

Skeeter's idea is very very good.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Chariklo, excellent advice, what would WT Wizard say though?

• rebel8
    rebel8

But how do you explain to a child that his grandmother believes in myths and what she is saying is not real?

I'm not a parent but is it as simple as saying just that?

"Zac you know how some people believe in leprachauns? Well grandma believes in things that aren't real."

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks for the continuing comments. It seems unanimous that I need to be firm with my stance with my mother.

Jookbeard - I have a similar issue with my MIL, but she is not very forceful or convincing, so am easily able to counteract her influence with Zac. My mother on the other hand is very manipulative, and I am worried at the psychological damage she can do.

There seems to be various opinions of how I should address that what my mother is saying to Zac is false. I tend to agree that I should be open with Zac that what she is saying is wrong. He is very philosophical and switched on despite being only 4, and I don't think he will be confused about the concept that people believe different things, and not everything people tell him can be trusted.

• steve2
    steve2

If roles were reversed (e.g., she was your JW daughter who left her daughter in your care - your granddaughter) she would not waste time seeking other's opinions on what she should do to protect her child from "apostate" ideas you were planting in your grandchild's head. She'd whisk her daughter away from you as quick as look at you.

Tell her to stop it - and if she doesn't, whisk your child away from her or allow only supervised contact.

• sinedie
    sinedie

Hello Paul,

I am new here and don't have experience at that area, but I read all the posts and I agree with Troubled Mind and Billy.

If you cut off your son from your mother, he will grow up one day and want to know her side of the story, or he will meet someone from her congregation that will tell him their version of the story, which can make him question your actions. On the other hand if you teach him now the truth about the "truth" within reason for his age, he will be growing up with the full knowledge of the reality, and he might be the one that will help your mum to realize she is wrong. I don't know your relationship with your mother, but if you love her I would tell her that, and that you want her to be in Zacks life, but that you must put your son's wellbeing first. From my experiance, forcing someone to do or not do something just makes them want to do the opposite.

Best wishes to you and your family

S

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Hi there,

I am similarly concerned about my JW mother's contact with my 3 1/2 yo son. He told me one afternoon that Jehovah made the butterflies and the flowers . I had previously not worried when he mentioned "god" because I thought he was either getting it off something on TV or my Mum was being good enough not to mention the actual name "Jehovah" to him. When he is there and they pray they do not encourage him to participate in any way but I do try to make him be quiet out of respect for their beliefs in their own house. He often giggles at them . Sometimes he tries to hold hands but he has no real understanding of prayer, at least as far as I know... I have been paranoid enough to pull out an old copy of "my book of bible stories" and quiz my son about whether he has seen the adam and eve and paradise pictures... crazy me I know. But I was glad that he hadn't!

I actually wonder if the "Jehovah made the butterflies" came from my Sister-in-law or his cousins on a recent visit, they are more the type that talk about JW stuff incessantly, whereas it's kind of a white elephant with my parents and I. Recent events involving a nearly 2 hour, emotion charged phone call with my mother about an incident and then turned into how much I hate that my whole family are in a cult (which I will reserve for another thread), meant that I point blank asked my mother if I should be worried about her trying to indoctrinate my son. She told me that when he was old enough she would not hold back from telling him what she believed and that everyone can make their own decisions. I said that children are impressionable to illogical things and that it is my decision what he is exposed to. She agreed that we have to think for ourselves. I don't think she will try and "teach" him JW beliefs, at least not at this young age, but she will answer any questions he has according to her beliefs, which is only to be expected, after all she loves him very much and wants him to live forever I can't blame her for that. I am satisfied that he is intelligent enough and will not be influenced enough to lead to him being brainwashed into the cult. My child reminds me a lot of me and thinks for himself and is quite forthright in his opinion, which is good for not being brainwashed and bad for me trying to get him to do everday tasks that he doesn't want to do!

I like Billy's idea of encouraging children to ask their grandparents questions that we perhaps cannot get away with. I think it is the most effective way, help the child to see the lack of logical answers and reasoning for themself. You never know, the granchild may make the granparent think. I get to emotionally involved when I talk to my mother about doctrine, we go around in circles and she get upset and physically ill... But an innocent child asking the questions can't be avoided so easily!

I actually have more of a problem at the moment that his preschool educators have got him saying "bless you" when he or someody else sneezes! But it doesn't really matter so I just let it go...

By the way I simply explained that butterflies come from caterpillars (he has a story book about it so he understood) and then the butterflies lay eggs that become more caterpillars and more butterflies, nobody is making them. He was happy with that and we moved on. I think if I push the subject, it will only intrigue him more and he will come to understand the discord between Mum and his grandmother sooner than I would hope. His fourth Birthday will likely mean I have to explain why she can't come. Aargh!

I don't think we really have much to worry about. Children taught to ask questions and think logically will not become indoctrinated unless they are not exposed to anything else but the brainwashing. But you may want to say something to your mother on the principle of the matter, that she does not have the right to be teaching him her beliefs in your absence. I think the less said the better most of the time (wish I had taken this advice as of late) as they tend to dig their heels in more when you challenge them...

Good luck!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Steve, great idea. If I ask Mum how she would feel if I started trying to contact my JW neice and nephew to teach them my beliefs, she may appreciate the depth of emotion that raises.

Sinedie, that is a very important point. I am sure Zac will be more negatively influenced if I cut off all contact, than if my mother occassionaly mentions her beliefs, as long as I am vigilant in making sure he is well educated about other beliefs.

stuckinlimbo, it sounds like your mother is very respectful, so you should be happy. I am interested in what happened in the cult discussion though.

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

I agree it's not a good idea to cut off all contact. In my case my son is blessed with lovely doting grandparents and I won't take that away from him because I will make sure he is taught to think and exposed to differing views, so there should not be a problem.

I just finished writing a post about what happened last week, but it is a bit incoherent I am afraid!

• cofty
    cofty

Late to this thread - I'm sorry you are having this stress. I agree with the observation that JWs can't always be trusted to keep their word when it comes to these issues but you are the best one to judge in your own situation.

It seems inevitible you are going to have to lay down the law. I would go for the threat of supervised contact rather than no contact in the first instance.

Please let us know how it goes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit