Prozac Use Among JWs, Bethelites, Circuit Overseers and District Overseers, What Gerritt Loesch Said

by Scott77 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Of course JW's have a higher rate of depression, they are targets of Satan. Satan uses this system of things to attack God's people.

I've so deprogrammed myself that I forgot this scientific fact. Thank you for the reminder.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's true that 'mental' illness is physical in origin. But it is also true that situations aggravate it and even make it manifest itself. Someone with a leaning toward a true mental disorder may never have symptoms. But undue stress can push them over the edge. So while I don't think that leaving the cult is a cure, I can say I haven't had a panic attack since leaving. I do still struggle with depression, but I don't take antidepressants anymore. In other words, my symptoms have seriously receded. There is nothing like having clincial depression, and worrying about getting to meetings when you should be resting, and carrying the immovable load of guilt they stack on you.

Just like if you have a bad back, and your job requires heavy lifting. Things aggravate conditions. An office worker may never be bothered by the same back condition as would a construction worker.

NC

• ziddina
    ziddina

(Yay!!! I can see page 2!!!)

As New Chapter said,

"But undue stress can push them over the edge...."

There are many documented cases of external stresses pushing people into forms of psychoses... Look at "battle fatigue" or as it's called nowadays, "post-traumatic-stress" syndrome. Look at the "brainwashing" techniques used by the Communist Chinese during the Korean war.

The human mind is more malleable and easily manipulated than most of humanity would like to admit.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The human mind is more malleable and easily manipulated than most of humanity would like to admit.

Amen! That is a fact most people do not even want to recognize, let alone admit to. Once you do, though, a lot of things start making sense. . . .

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

We can be sure that seeking help for depression became OK when one of the higher ups or their wives needed it.

If they hadn't, it would still be spiritual weakness.

Let's also not forget that not 2 years ago in a watchtower study they listed depression in one subheading, then listed serious physical illness in another.

For myself, my symptoms of feeling like I was losing my mind, all my feelings of doom and panic attacks stopped when I quit going to meetings.

The feelings of guilt and obligation slowly faded, first any obligation to WT, then any feelings of obligation to a god of any sort.

Those feelings went away the more I read about christianity, old testament history, historical Jesus research, the history of religions and myth, and source criticism of the OT.

I think 50% or more of the witnesses I know have signs of depression or are on medication.

2 families close to me have had teenagers hospitalized for suicide attempts.

• Scott77
    Scott77

They ARE receiving Holy Spirit... The Prozac merely enhances the human body's ability to assimilate the Holy Spirit when they're feeling depressed. Wait on Jehovah and he will clear this up in due time...
    Alfred

LOL @ Alfred

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes - painful to me - been there - done that -I just have a drinking problem now. I think the best friend of quite a few elders are Jim and Jack.

I of course mean Beam and Daniels.

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

The cult damages people psychologically. Being in special full time service is completely unnatural for the human mind/body, you have to not be yourself, ever. You can't be honest about how hard it is or how much it sucks. Not even to yourself. If those thoughts come to mind, you can't voice it, only when you have to relate to those having a hard time. But you always have to put a positive spin on it to make it seem worthwhile... As if life isn't hard enough... I remember that morning worship. I couldn't help but think almost half the people around me are suffering serious depression. In God's house, we are supposed to be the happiest of the happiest....

• Zordino
    Zordino

I personally know of at least 6 different sisters in my Hall that are on anti-depressants. And thats only of what I know. I wouldn't be surprised if that number was much higher like 50 to 60%. also, we had once suicide in our hall. He was a young man in his late 20's.

Very Sad.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The cult damages people psychologically. Being in special full time service is completely unnatural for the human mind/body, you have to not be yourself, ever.
    Silent_Scream

I seriously doubts if the ranks and file JWs are aware of this psychological devastation.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit