Prozac Use Among JWs, Bethelites, Circuit Overseers and District Overseers, What Gerritt Loesch Said

by Scott77 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My doctor told me the difference in neurological brain disorders and psychiatric brain disorders. Both are physical. What makes a brain disorder psychiatirc is that things in the actual world impact the illness. Neurological diseases do not get worse with crummy circumstances. It makes sense that JWs would have a very high percentage of mental illness.

I recall when there was much shame among Witnesses attached to taking any psych meds. My aunt and uncle were very close to a sister who had to take the earliest antidepressants. It was not a neutral topic for them. The Holy Spirit did not matter. In this system of things, bad things will happen. Of course, she pioneered. Could not work. If I had a $ for every Witness too sick to hold down even a part time job who pioneered, I'd be very wealthy.

When I see therapists about trauma, they ask about my family background in the screening interview. They interrupt me when I explain that my family were Witnesses. They tell me they cannot help me. I will have to go elsewhere. It is only when I reveal the full extent of my wrath that the interview continues. Everytime they happened it was from past experience with Witness clients. They allude to control of the WTBTS and family turning their back on members who truly need help. Combine that with Armageddon, blood, and demon fear, plus overwork with meetings and field service, the most resilient person would be depressed.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...When I see therapists about trauma, they ask about my family background in the screening interview. They interrupt me when I explain that my family were Witnesses. They tell me they cannot help me. I will have to go elsewhere. It is only when I reveal the full extent of my wrath that the interview continues. Everytime they happened it was from past experience with Witness clients. They allude to control of the WTBTS and family turning their back on members who truly need help..."
    Band on the Run

I thought that part was revealing and interesting. Here come professionally trained therapists unwilling to help a client in need of assistance presumably, because of a controversial or questionable religious background aka the Watchtower. I don’t know why the watchtower had to hire a Psychologist at its headquarter to deal with emotionally troubling issues yet at the same, actively discourages the ranks and files through family members to oppose the use of professional assistance to resolve the same problem. I thought that was ironical and hypocritical at that.

Scott77

• Violia
    Violia

Dr. Chitrakar

that has to be a joke,b/c pronounced it sounds like shi*t raker.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Not a joke. He's Indian, I think. Dr. Bishnu Chitrakar -- Chi is with a short i, as in "chicken", tra like start of "trouble", kar is like "car". Chi-tra-kar. Although "sh!t raker" seems appropriate.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

My doctor told me the difference in neurological brain disorders and psychiatric brain disorders. Both are physical. What makes a brain disorder psychiatirc is that things in the actual world impact the illness. Neurological diseases do not get worse with crummy circumstances. It makes sense that JWs would have a very high percentage of mental illness"

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/12/821.full.pdf

http://www.nel.edu/pdf_w/23_3/NEL230302R02_Esch_rw.pdf

This is classical JW talk, speaking on subject matter out of one's ignorance, I can't believe you actually wrote this? Do some research from some sources like Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor Medical Center of Neurology, Neuroscience. UC San Fransisco MDA Medical Unit, UCLA Neuro-Science. Oh God!

You can site sources to aid your side of this issue, I took my friend to the best doctors in the USA, every one of them would laugh at what your doctor told you. This kind of sad content, destroys our crediblity on JWN. Oh God Again!

• Violia
    Violia

Several neurological diseases, say MS , are made worse by stress. Stress is listed frequently as causing a flare in many diseases. I looked at wiki, and the list of neuro diseases is very long. The mind and body really cannot be separated .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neurological_disorders

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...They [the Watchtower GB] also had a psychologist in Bethel, Dr. Chitrakar..."
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just curious. why on earth did they keep that Dr. Chitrakar at Bethel? Is he a U.S.-trained or indian-trained psychologist? By disclosing client-counselor confidentiality matters, this guy would certainly be on in trouble. Is he still there? Are there more Dr. Chitrakars in Bethel? I recall reading in counseling literature that there is trust issue between a counselor and a client from a different racial background.

Scott77

• zeb
    zeb

Its also my observation that jw's tend to be bad eaters. eating all the wrong foods and often. I stress 'tend'. As a group among the most unhealthy i have come across.

• Room 215
  • Jesuit Scholar
    Jesuit Scholar

Room 215: Tara is Dr. Bishnu Chitraker's wife, both are Bethel Family members. And Bishnu is an MD, Doctor of Psychiatry, whereas Tara Chitraker is an MD, in general family practice. She also handled obstetrics for Bethelite 'sisters' who became pregnant and provided care until the couple departed Bethel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit