Prozac Use Among JWs, Bethelites, Circuit Overseers and District Overseers, What Gerritt Loesch Said

by Scott77 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scott77
    Scott77

Any bethelite whom served the past 5/6 years remembers Gerritt Loesch's morning worship when he mentioned over 40% of those in special full-time service (Bethel, missionary, CO, DO) were on antidepressants, such as prozac. over 40%!!! Serious phenomena affecting many, but throw the tight reins, multiplies it

MC RubberMallet

I know of one elder's son who committed suicide and received a memorial at the hall. So it mustn't be a strict rule.There's a lot of anecdotal evidence and statistics suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses have a higher suicide rate than the general population, along with higher rates of depression and anxiety. So I think it depends on the circumstances and the victim's standing as a Jehovah's Witness at the time of death.

biometrics

My question is: If they are taking antidepresants, where is the widely acclaimed holy spirit that they claim creat a peaceful condition in their hearts?

Scott77

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

There you go making sense; that's not the theocratic way now Scotty!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it really is an emotional prison

• biometrics
    biometrics

If the truth ever came out I suspect more than 50% of Jehovah's Witnesses are on medication for depression, or experience some level of depression.

In my limited circle of former friends who are still Jehovah's Witnesses I know of

A brother who is on constant antidepressants, and has been in electro-shock treatment twice.

His wife is constantly on antidepressants and is now on lithium.

His JW son (14 years old) attempted to hang himself. I was there when the police arrived.

A sister who had kidney failure due to excessive prolonged use of antidepressants

My own sister who's a JW is on antidepressants

My own brother who was on antidepressants while a JW. Funnily enough he didn't need them after leaving?

My childhood friend (son of an elder) who hung himself in his garage at age 35. Leaving a wife and two kids.

A sister who died of liver cancer, which is suspected of being caused by excessive prolonged use of antidepressants

And I've heard rumours of many others on antidepressants. Most of which I didn't know personally, so can't comment on.

Does that sound like a place of comfort and peace? But if you mention excessive depression among the JW's it's blamed on pressure from Satan.

I now have 'worldy' friends, and only know of one that is on antidepressants.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Utah has taken the honor of the "highest rate of depression in the United States, why? I read earlier articles in 2006 about Mormon women and high depression rates, that made the LDS church infuriated, challenging the researchers. Utah is the perfect State to ask questions and gauge antidepressant use among Mormons. I have no idea where GB Member L got his evidence for "Prosac use", what type of study did Bethel perform, numbers, interviews, who? Did they ask ten members and four said "we are depressed" so Loesch assumed his sample was valid to draw his erroneous conclusion, forty percent is high! UK is at ten-twelve percent, USA is at ten percent, so we are told!

" In this first-of-its-kind study, "Ranking America's Mental Health," researchers found statistical links between mental-illness rates and education levels, health insurance and the general availability of mental-health resources.
    On average, suicide and depression rates are lowest in the states with higher percentages of mental-health professionals and higher percentages of the population receiving mental-health treatment.
    "I certainly agree the link is there between access to care and better mental health," said Jarrod Hindman with the state's Office of Suicide Prevention.
    People in South Dakota and Hawaii are the two "least depressed" states in the country, reports the nonprofit association Mental Health America.
    Utah has the highest reported incidence of depression, and Alaska reported the highest suicide rate, nearly 27 deaths per 100,000 people.
    The lowest suicide rate was found in the District of Columbia, followed by New York and Massachusetts.
    The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that each year about 30,000 Americans take their lives. The most recent data available, 2004 suicides tracked by the CDC, formed the basis for the nationwide comparison.

Colorado's suicide rate is just over 17 deaths per 100,000 people.
    Rates of depression among the states, based on 2004-05 data, vary from around 7 percent in the least-depressed states to more than 10 percent in states reporting the highest levels.
    Colorado reported that 9.42 percent of adults experienced a major depressive episode and 11.4 percent reported experiencing serious psychological distress.

Read more: State's suicide rate eighth-highest - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_7584821#ixzz1tmkvPPGg
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

IsnĀ“t it true that the states having the lowest rate of suice also are regarded at somewhat liberal states?

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

suicide

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Injury yes I think you are correct, Conservative States are suppose to be depressed and overweight, Meth and pain pill abuse. No wonder them Tea-party people are so rabid!

Liberals spend their time smoking weed and debating global weather conditions.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
  • Perry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit