I'm not a camper. I don't see the point in pretending you are homeless

by wha happened? 141 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Camping is great. (except my back is never happy, but that's what Advil is for.)

Coming home to your own hot shower and bed is equally as great.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Camping for us was always associated with the district convention or preaching where the need is great. We would spend the summer in an unassigned territory and my dad would drive from town to join us on the week end. Now that I travel for business I only stay in nice Hotels...right now I am at the Hilton in Quebec City looking at the parliement building and the plains of Abraham. My wife and I travelled across America on our motorcycle and every night we stayed in a nice Hotel. I have to admit that it was fun to go camping when the kids were small, but as we are near retirement, Hotel luxury is much more apealing.

• TOTH
    TOTH

My wife HATES camping and anything to do with the outdoors if it does not have shade and margaritas and a King Sized Bed. So.....I had not been camping in over twenty years. Well right around 30 year high school reunion time I reconnected with an old buddy and bandmate. He invited me camping in the mountains east of Bakersfield on the Kern River. BEST TIME I had in ages! Felt good to not have any comfort! WEIRD HUH!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

This is such a timely thread for me. Hubby is currently buying some equipment for us to have some breaks possibly go over the channel to Europe too. My camping memories aren't so great....hungry kids/no funds/lots of rain blah blah. But I'm going to give it a go. Just wish we could get over to the Flipperfest. How about we sort a weekend camping apostafest in UK?

Loz x

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Toth, the lake near bakersfield was where we had all the debauchery going on. I think the committies stretched into 4-5 congregations back in the late 90's.

• designs
    designs

Base Lake, Labor Day weekend, Hell's Angels, Snow and Sheriffs, it was quit a weekend.

• talesin
    talesin

I love camping. We always went to wilderness campgrounds in the Federal Park. There were CLEAN toilets at the entrance where you paid, and the sites were back in the woods.

There's nothing like waking up at dawn, to hear the birdies chirping, and sit and have a cuppa in the still of the woods.

Also, firebugs love campfires.

tal

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I don't really see the point in being a grumpy old man, myself. :D

Oh... wait....

<grumpy_old_man>

I'm going to go start an ipad-bashing thread now!

</grumpy_old_man>

- Lime

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Tali, I had the birds singing and the breeze, blowing through a house my parents owned in Big Bear. It was very woodsy outside, the roads weren't even paved. But that thermastat was there for the heater, nice bathrooms, and a kitchen. Unless u like enjoying some salmonilla dinner by the campfire.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I love camping...but not "roughing it" camping.

When I was a kid, our camping trips to New Hampshire consisted of going to a campground with full amenities...showers, toilets, pool, lodge with an arcade, badminton/tennis courts, basketball court, a playground...plus it was very close to the lake...just a short hike through the woods. We'd sleep out in tents, and in the morning, dad would fire up the Coleman cookstove and fry up eggs, bacon, and toast (on a cast iron ring...YUM!). This was a once-a-year thing for us for a few years and we loved it.

Usually when I agree to go camping, I MUST have a shower available...I can't rough it THAT much. Even if I have to feed the shower quarters in order to use it lol.

But for the most part, when I have things I need available, I love sleeping in the great outdoors.

Cabins are nice, too. I've stayed in a cabin on a lake and it was nice.

ETA: I'm actually excited to be able to go camping with the BF and the baby next year! Sometime in the spring, as summer is just way too damn hot to be sleeping out in a tent around here lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit