A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

There is no evidence that those variables exist. A believer will work out a solution that they are comfortable with---with no way of verifying what they have decided is true---and they will move on to their next prayer. Will they conclude that it contradicted another more important prayer, that they have a lesson to learn, that a greater good is being accomplished? It doesn't really matter, they will be content with what they have decided. Remember, I used to believe in prayer, and not only JW style prayer, so I remember what my mind would do to hang onto belief. I did not 'lose' faith, as you put it, over prayer, but over evidence.

NC

• tec
    tec

There is no evidence that those variables exist

Well, if a person can concieve of them, then those possibilities do e x ist. It does not mean that they are valid, or that they are the cause of an unanswered prayer, but the possibility is there and acknowledged. Praying for something that is against God's will is a valid reason that a prayer might not be answered.

Does a scientist not check to see what variables might have been responsible for one test out of hundred failing? He goes searching for the reason why, right? If he cannot find a reason, then he might start from scratch, but he cannot conclude anything. It remains unknown still.

I will repeat, that looking at the variables as valid reasons for a prayer not to be answered is not (necessarily) evidence of confirmation bias. Do you accept this or not?

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

I did not say that you lost faith over prayer, btw. Only that some who were once believers might have come to this conclusion after having prayers go unanswered. Some on this forum have stated so.

Peace,

tammy

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

For the longest time throughout human history people were praying to their deities and waited for what was to happen

and to faithfully accept the incoming result, good or bad.

Their almighty god was in control of all things involving them and the world in which they lived in.

The writings of the bible, as a reference, proves this in regarding the ancient Hebrew civilization.

To the folly of those ancient people the next civilization close by were doing the exactly same thing as the Hebrews were doing.

Ironically 3000 years forward people are still waiting and praying toward their chosen god (Yahweh), (Allah) to do or exercise his Divine will.

Fortunately most of humanity today has realized that mankind has to take responsibility upon himself to make or create positive actions to better the

human experience for all concerned. So far this initiative has proved its own valuable worth, better and above than waiting on the gods.

• cofty
    cofty

Do you really expect us to believe you have experienced 99% success in having your prayers answered?

Does it go something like...

"Lord what should I do about x?"

Tammy thinks for a while about dilemma x and finds a particular option seems right. She has a peace about it.

If x turns out to be a great success you thank the lord for a prayer answered; if not you either conclude you need to listen better or in some way you don't fully understand x was still the best option.

Either way it gets chalked up as another prayer answered.

How is this not confirmation bias?

• tec
    tec

No answer I have ever been given has been wrong.

I have been wrong plenty of times trying to do something on my own. But never has an answer that I have been given been wrong.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Does a scientist not check to see what variables might have been responsible for one test out of hundred failing? He goes searching for the reason why, right? If he cannot find a reason, then he might start from scratch, but he cannot conclude anything. It remains unknown still.

A scientist will conduct experiments in a controlled setting---all variables are controlled. If their 99th test seems to falsify a hypothesis, they must check all variables. Was the experiment done correctly? Were things measured properly? What about temperature? Was everything timed right? Did something contaminate the samples?

They do not start from scratch, but build onto which has already been confirmed. They don't just go randomly searching for possibilities and throw their hands into the air and say it cannot be known---they look for where a mistake may have been made. And if everything comes back good, they have falisfied the hypothesis. They can move on and find the real answer, instead of the answer they wished were true.

The scientific method works against confirmation bias. It is counterintuitive, which is a good thing since humans intuitively wish to confirm their view of the world.

NC

• cofty
    cofty

No answer I have ever been given has been wrong. - Tec

So was my description more or less accurate?

• cofty
    cofty

I have been wrong plenty of times trying to do something on my own. But never has an answer that I have been given been wrong. - Tec

A perfect example of confirmation bias.

If it turns out to be right it was an answer from god, if it is wrong it was you doing it on your own.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Some religious teachings involve the forgiveness of a individual's expressed sins, how is that supportive toward a healthy sociological

inter-personal relationships, from a psychological viewpoint ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit