Are you an athiest and why?

by LouBelle 100 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's not. War is not seen as murder. In something outside of the city/state structure, retaliation is not seen as murder. And if a killing is justified within a group, the that person has been removed from the group----paid a debt to 'society'.

Inidviduals vary greatly, which is why we take a look at modal behavior. I think that once you look at the whole, then religious beliefs come into perspective. The bronze age god was tribal, when tribal was the norm. The bronze age god changed when city/states became the norm. Culture, including religion, is simply an adaptation to the environment. Jesus didn't really teach unique things. His wisdom could be found in many writings. But had the Jews not changed how they approached their religion, they may not have survived in a changing world.

Bible morality is no more superior than other types of morality, because it is relative. I personally think it is lacking in many ways to more enlightened thinking. Controlling people through the concept of sin is just weak. Teaching children to be ashamed of themselves, and to fear a punishment that completely has no relationship to the crime is incredibly weak. Teaching them to strive for a reward that will never come, instead of focusing on the here and now, is tragic. And yet, it is what humans do.

In one group, they have a very strong taboo about having sex for a year after a baby is born. If they break this rule, the baby will die. When we look closer, at their diet, we find that it is exceptionally low in protein. It's fine for older people, but deadly to a young infant. If a mother gets pregnant within that first year, and she stops producing milk, the baby will have to make do with the diet, and will likely die from lack of protein. This is religion for them. It is confirmed by dead babies. What will happen with the introduction of birth control and education about nutrition and formula? Well eventually their religion will change to adapt to the new environment. Soon, it will be viewed as nothing but superstition, held onto by the old. Babies will quit dying, therefore confirming that sex before the year mark does not kill babies.

As society changed, so did Yahweh's religion. I don't think Israel even has a death penalty. They don't have stonings in the square. They even recognize gay marriage as legal (though I think only if carried out in a country that allows it---I don't believe they are one of them) It does not resemble much their older religion, outside of some traditions that adapted well. This god, created by humans, has been recreated by humans, and will continue to evolve as society does.

With these ever changing defintions of a god, the concept of god becomes weaker. Some of us see clearly that this is because it is manmade, and changes into whatever the environment requires. I believe that if such an entity existed, it wouldn't change on a whim as it does today. It would be what it is, not what we wanted it to be.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Because if I was not an atheist I would have to be like tec.

• tec
    tec

NC - You are right in that it could simply be people moving along with the culture and adjusting their beliefs to fit that moving culture. But it could also be simply that you cannot teach people something beyond what they are capable or willing to learn, and have them accept it. Few people are capable of looking past societal norms. Most go with the crowd. We can see instances of this in the bible (Israel wanting kings like other nations, but being warned against it... and in the allowances that Moses made to the law of God, due to the hard-heartedness of the people) But there are still those individuals who are 'ahead of the game' so to speak, and who see past societal norms. But sometimes the crowd just moves more slowly. Few people have the courage to go against the crowd.

John Mann - Why throw something personal toward me? Have I done something to you?

Peace,

tammy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Haven't had time to read the whole thread, too busy enjoying "No Memorial Night" yet again, which consists of a meal of something different, a new recipe say, and plenty of BOOZE ! this has become a ritual in Phizzy Castle.

I am really an Atheist, but I don't like to label myself thus, too many people will say "You cannot have any morals" or somesuch nonsense. I style myself a Rational/Secular/Humanist or something along those lines.

I see no proof for God, I know, beyond doubt, that if one were to exist it would not be the God of the Bible. If a Supreme Being exists, it is plain that It/He/She does not have any morals and cares not one wit for us, so I just do not want to know, I do not associate with anyone immoral.

Put another way, the "Problem of Evil" does away with a God.

I want to say something different to John Mann, if I were a believer I hope I would be, and I would like to be, just like our dear Tammy !

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Or maybe we are just a science experiment. Can you just picture some little genius mixing together some chemicals in a high school science lab, accidentally creating life, and then not knowing the significance, dumps us down the drain, where we multiply and continue the process until we step out of the sewer system and onto land, which is really just a little speck, but cuz we are so small, we think it's a rock in a huge universe, which isn't huge to him, cuz he's like a giant! Anyway he's thinking about his prom date, cuz time moves much slower for him, and it's billions of years later for us, and he doesn't help, because he doesn't know about us, and he's more concerned about boobs than the questions of our universe, and he's applying for college.

Yeah---would that make him our god? And if so, maybe it's not that the god doesn't care, maybe he just doesn't know, and even if he did, it's a far cry from being all powerful, so maybe he couldn't help anyway!

I think I'll write a book and start a religion---UNLESS---yesssss---I have just found new meaning in Dr. Seuss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYJQpiHJKrE

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe we should end prayers with YOPP instead of amen.

• tec
    tec

Phizzy, thank you for that.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Jesus will murder his way through the second coming in a spectacular bloodfest matched in scale only by a global extinction event orchestrated by the butcher Elohim during Noah's time. The audacity of having had to plan both these mass killings in advance, prophesying for years they were coming and then ensuring that everything required to fulfil them is/was methodically put in place as signs while using the most pathetic and unreliable means to warn people of supposed escape routes ( ensuring most people will have no access to them either for geographical , age or cultural reasons ) smacks of a brutal pair of psycho baby killers.

They sold this whole idea as a benevolent, loving thing to billions of people as well. Religion - advertising at its best. Jesus and Jehovah lovingly slaughtering people for 7000 years.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

This is a great thread.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Because if I was not an atheist I would have to be like tec. ..." John_Mann

Heh!

I have to agree with John Mann... I wouldn't HAVE to be like "tec", but I wouldn't want to be of a mindset wherein I would skitter away from new information like a blueshell crab... Or would deny major portions of the "holy" book that supplied the theology in the first place....

crabs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit