Are you an athiest and why?

by LouBelle 100 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

That about sums it up for me.

BTW - Atheism does not result in unhappiness that many like to attribute to the rational. I have not ever been happier in my life since I figured out that sky-daddy either does not exist, or is an evil uncaring bastard.

Jeff

• tec
    tec

All of these gods had gods for fathers and their mothers were virgins. The births of nearly all were announced by stars, celebrated by celestial music, and voices declared that a blessing had come to the poor world. All of these gods were born in humble places -- in caves,

under trees, in common inns, and tyrants sought to kill them all when they were babes. All of these sun-gods were born at the winter solstice -- on Christmas. Nearly all were worshiped by "wise men." All of them fasted for forty days -- all of them taught in parables -- all of

them wrought miracles -- all met with a violent death, and all rose from the dead.

Good morning, Loubelle. Again, not saying anything about anyone being an atheist. I am sure there are other reasons than the above. Just commenting on something inaccurate. The above is the equivalent of 'propoganda' or of getting your info from the National Enquirer, or perhaps Fo x News ;). A lot of people have bought into this, but these comparisons between Christ and all of these other 'god-men' did not occur. It is just something that one person said, and that another repeated, and that others used those two for their references,and then they all just started quoting one another as if there was authority in that. And of course this wildfire is out there and there are so many 'internet e x perts' saying it is true, that if someone wants to believe it, then they will. But if you research the actual myths and stories, and speak to actual scholars who have no agenda, then you will see that these claims are unfounded.

If the above is untrue, yet claimed as fact, then how much of the rest is also untrue or unfounded? This is what I had to ask myself, when I forced myself to research these worrisome claims.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Edited. On second thought, because only portions of the bible will be expressed as true, this is a silly argument to even start.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Just try praying and see if you get any answer. After a life-time of prayer, I've finally grown up. If you enjoy the calming placebo effect, by all means.

• tec
    tec

Leo on here is a scholar... or at least a helluva knowledgable researcher. Others have spoken to scholars and posted their words about this subject. The reasons we don't hear much about it, is the same as why Obama probably gives so little time and effort in answering the 'birthers'.

I have researched the original myths though, in encyclopedias... (encyclopedia mythica is an on-line one) and they simply do not have these similarities. There is no mention of time of birth, or virgin mothers, or deaths and resurrections. (Horus birth is in winter solstice I think, which as JW's, everyone here already knows about it influencing Christianity... but that has nothing to do with the actual Christ or his date of birth) Others who have done the research in more depth, have said the same.

Now the common theme that may run through them would be a miraculous conception of some sort, and death with some sort of supernatural element to it. That would seem kind of common for someone who is more than merely human; something of divine.

May I ask how you come to your findings of these common themes, NC? The general sources of your conclusions?

Thanks.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Edited. On second thought, because only portions of the bible will be expressed as true, this is a silly argument to even start.

Too late, I already saw it. As you can see though, there is nothing in my answer that even refers to the bible. Doesnt' have to be an argument though, in either case.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The only information you have on Jesus, his birth, his life, his death, his deeds are from the bible. While sweeping statements comparing these myths to sun god myths are bound to be inaccurate, there are certain themes that run through all. So to say it has nothing to do with the bible, is odd at best, because you wouldn't know about Jesus but for the bible, and you wouldn't know the stories, which we sometimes compare to older stories.

Now you may be claiming to have some personal knowledge, that you have acquired through other means, but you would never have even tried to accumulate such knowledge but for the bible. Which by your many comments, you don't believe is accurate, except what it says about Jesus or something like that. So the source that you don't trust for so many other things, you trust for information on Jesus because of this other knowledge you have accumulated.

This is why I say it's silly to even start the conversation. As I said earlier, it's kind of like water. It molds as needed.

NC

• tec
    tec

I am not claiming personal knowledge through any other means at all. Use the bible to compare, no problem.

But it is not in the bible that Jesus is born on Dec. 25th. That is something they are comparing to a tradition that was added later to the religion... and it doesn't compare anyway, because none of these other 'god-men' are given dates of birth. Other than perhaps Horus (can't recall, would have to look it up again), who is born in winters solstice - no specific date mention. So that is a comparison THEY have made that has absolutely nothing to do with the bible, and nothing to do with the other 'god-men'. It is a fabrication.

Peace,

tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

No. Why? I have always felt a higher presence, though at times it's been more faint and distant. This isn't a light, fleeting feeling. It exists outside the Bible or holy books.

Putting all knowledge aside, higher power is something people feel or they don't. I respect that enough people do not feel it. I respect that they feel evidence stacks up against it. We are all on our own unique journeys, spiritually speaking. There is intelligence on both sides of this question. There is passion on both sides of this question, especially since most all of us spent at least some time as JW's. They taught us all to speak out about our beliefs and feelings. And look, a lot of us still do. I am so grateful that we have the freedom to speak our true feelings. Now, if we can only learn to do it respectfully, we will have all evolved...not that some don't address this question respectfully.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

LouBelle

Like many here I do not believe in a personal God. That is not to say I have ruled out the possibility of invisible cosmic forces that are aware of the universe and existence.

I don’t feel the need to wear a label, such as Atheist, because it causes division. To me, regardless what beliefs we presently hold, we are all people seeking the truth of our existence and the origins of the universe. None of us have all the answers.

If God exists and has a set of morals that he expects men and women to live by, then he needs to scribble some up to date laws on some more stone tablets or get up to speed and learn to use a computer and the web, for Christ's sake!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit