Are you an athiest and why?

by LouBelle 100 Replies latest jw experiences

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

My thinking on this is not only limit to god. I'm also looking into other things the bible claims. One that I'm looking at today for example is the scriptures about David and how they lay claim that he was a mighty king, united the northern Jewish kingdoms, ruled from jerusalim, built temples etc and yet there is very physical evidence of David outside that of the bible. I mean if it were true there would be archeological evidence to back this up and yet in reality there is very very little. There is apparently a stone that does mention a "house of david" but this was 150 years afterwards.

What archeological evidence does however support is another king called (ag I don't have my notes with me now) I think his name was Omran or something like that.

Anyway besides all of this, athiest or not, believe in the bible or not - my aim is to live a good and healthy life and to own it. Though I've always taken responsibility for my actions, I'm also going to take responsiblity for my future. It is in my hands and I prefer it there.

• confused2012a
    confused2012a

Yes, I am an athiest. I don't see any real evidence for "God". If he/she/it decides to show himself oneday, then I might change my mind.

• Night Owl
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

i am an atheist because I dont have belief in a deity.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I don't believe in the fairy godmother but as far as I'm aware there isn't a group called the afairygodmotherists. I don't believe in the bogeyman, a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or hobgoblins.

If folk want to believe in an invisible god who cares for them and in some cases, talks to them, that's up to them but why there has to be a name attached to those who do not believe that is beyond me.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

On a lighter note but something that I did do for real before making my mind over about god. I had a conversation with god that went along the lines of giving him another chance to prove himself to me. I asked, not to be stuborn, but if I'm required to put faith in something invisible a little bit of proof would go a long way. Plus, I informed him that I felt that we had an abusive relationship. I was the abused and he the abusee - and that I wasn't going to take any more abuse, that I was tired of the experiements and the faith tests. He either accepts me as is or else that was it. I reasoned that whenever I prayed to him and thought the prayer had been answered, that it turned out far worse than before - this is with hindsight. So why, if he was all knowing and forseeing, put me through worse shit????? Doesn't he love me, doesn't he want the best for me? Or am I just a little ant and he the cruel boy with the magnifying glass??

I haven't heard anything so that was that. I'm done with god.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

And What is the difference between these two statements?

Because if I was not an atheist I would have to be like tec.

if I were a believer I hope I would be, and I would like to be, just like our dear Tammy !
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I dont know why you take offense Tec. But if we were believers then we would have to be like you.... Otherwise how could be hold on to our beliefs... The same way that if you were an Atheist you would have to be like us. :-)

• tec
    tec

Cyber... I didn't really take offense :) It's kind of hard to take offense, as I do not know John Mann and he does not know me. I found it rude though, so I asked him about it. Because of course he could have just been stating it as you stated it above. But he did not answer, so I do not know.

Jesus will murder his way through the second coming in a spectacular bloodfest matched in scale only by a global extinction event orchestrated by the butcher Elohim during Noah's time. T

At most this is an entirely subjective interpretation that has no resemblance, imo, to the man who lived and his teachings. Or it is simply the teachings of some religions that you learned from. You did not learn it from Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    If folk want to believe in an invisible god who cares for them and in some cases, talks to them, that's up to them but why there has to be a name attached to those who do not believe that is beyond me....iCeltic

Good point iCeltic and I thoroughly agree... I prefer not to have a label too. There are lots of other things I DON"T beleive in...but am not labelled for them....and I don't feel I have to label myself for them either.

I suppose the name atheist or agnostic or whatever, is only used when we have discussions like this to help us understand where each other stands. But really, is it necessary at all, since it doesn't take much to figure that out anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit