Are you an athiest and why?

by LouBelle 100 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I would really need to see God's birth certificate before I could believe in his existance.

And I want to see an original long form birth certificate, not some printout of a scan of a photocopy of the short form. And he'd better be American!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

not athiest, but very damn close

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

tec / tammy - I by no means believe everything I read - the portion that I pasted I found very interesting - I am of course going to do more research and that passage is something I am going to do more research on (I've always been fascinated by religious similarities) - I will use more than the net as my source. I have so much more to learn, I want to get into the sciences and read up on evolution / adaption etc. I do not hold the answers, this is a journey I have walked for a number of years. My first step was leaving JW's, my eyes were opened to them, I progressed to more open christianity and read up on that and my eyes were opened to that and I progressed to a more spiritual realm, I have spent the last 2 years reading up, searching in that field, again it is time for me to progress. With each letting go - (it is a profoundly intimate process) I grow and I learn...this is just another step for me.

• smiddy
    smiddy

LB

If being an atheist is denying the existence of GOD as outlined in the bible , with all it`s attributes, being a personal deity,then yes I`m an atheist.

The reasons ? The absurdities,contradictions,inconsistencies,doublespeak,bloodthirstiness of this" loving" god,his selectivity,discrimination of races and peoples,his pettiness and jealousy,his communicating with primitive peoples in primitive times,not a word from him in this modern technological era ?his sitting idly by while millions of jews are exterminated ,umpteen thousands exterminated in cambodia,ethnic cleansing in the bosnian war,and the majority of those slaughtered were not soldiers fighting a war,but civillians,old men,old women,young children,babies, and thats just this century and I`ve only scratched the surface , we could go on about africa india etc. etc. and dont even,get me started on the past 2000 years of human misery.

smiddy

• mP
    mP

tec

while it is true the bible doesnt say when jesus was born, xians accept the date of dec 25. the validity or accuracy doesnt matter. the poibt is why the date was selected and why everyone just took it. you have explained how an entire church which covered an empire simply took dec 25 as the date. how is it they just accept a pagan birthday of another pagan god as fact knowing its origin.? if satan had a biethday and it was announced as the birthday of jehovah would xians really be dumb or ignorant enuff to justbtake it. does this mean xians are stupid or easily fooled?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I have so much more to learn, I want to get into the sciences and read up on evolution / adaption etc

Loubelle---I did this. I found anthropology to be the most eye opening of all experiences. Physical/Biological anthropology will help you really grasp evolution. And Cultural anthropology will help you understand, on quite a cool level, how humans interact with their environment---which is still about evolution to a degree. When you link it all, you learn that species all deal with their environment (adaptation) with physical traits. Humans have one more thing they use---culture.

Then when you look at the types of society, you learn that their religions are almost predictable. Foraging bands have different religion than horticulturists, or agriculturists. When you start picking up on the predictablility, it is enlightening. Humans are simply adapting to their environment and lifestyle. There is some moral commonality, but it is always relative. Murder is prohibited, but again relative, it doesn't extend beyond band, tribe, chiefdom, country---whatever the culture. Christianity is exactly the same, although it pretends to be different, murder outside the group is not viewed as murder. The ancient Jews were incredibly tribal, as was their god, and murder outside their group reached the level of righteousness.

City/States brought about the ability to be more organized, to write, to spread a belief. This is why I believe that the middle eastern view of god has been so tenacious. This was born in the cradle of society, and simply had more years (and might) to spread outward. But by investigating other tribal gods, and the rise of the city/state, you really learn there is nothing overly remarkable about him, and he is also predictable.

Oh, if you can ever take a couple of anthropology classes---you will learn so much and in so many layers. You'll see links and logic. I'll never view the world the same.

• designs
    designs

Anthropology Finding that Damascus existed 1000s of years before 'Adam and Eve' was the turning point.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

go along with WTWizard and LWT, definitely believe without any shadow of doubt that the God/Satan roles has been deceptively promoted and that Yahweh or whatever name she has is the dirty/perverted angry blood thirsty demon god of the OT, and that Satan is the good guy whose PR has been fucked around with.

• tec
    tec

Loubelle - Of course I hope all the best for you on your journey, and we each walk a personal one. I think because these copycat myths were the first real test of my faith, causing me to doubt my faith until I researched the claims, that I must speak out every time I see that it might be accepted as true. But much peace to you on the path you walk, and joy in the learning you are undertaking. Science, evolution, other religions... I find them all facinating as well.

mP - they accepted that date because pagan influences were brought into the religion. At least I think this is the answer; and I think even the jw's teach this, so it should not be a surprise. I have not attempted to deny that christianity has adopted some of the practices and cultures of the people they brought into their fold. But that - the religion that came a century or three after Christ - does not have reflect upon Christ. That "scholars and researchers" do not make this distinction, and simply go by a tradition that was not in effect with Christ, discredits them. As do the other comparisons that simply are not true.

Christianity is exactly the same, although it pretends to be different, murder outside the group is not viewed as murder

Murder outside the group is most definitely viewed as murder. Perhaps I am not understanding your meaning?

Peace,

tammy

• flipper
    flipper

I basically consider myself an agnostic. I don't know if there is a God or not. But I don't sit around wondering about it , or lose any sleep over it. I lean towards thinking there is no God, but seriously, it's no big deal to me. Whether there is a God or not- I still need to live MY life and enjoy it, showing love to those people I know and others that I CAN see and know exist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit