Americans! What is up with your Iced Tea?

by palmtree67 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Strangely fascinating thread.

• Scully
    Scully

Palmtree, you need St Albert cheese curds for poutine. The squeakier the better.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Palmie and i were talking about this earlier, she couldn't tell me what kind of cheese she used

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Wherever you travel in the states the rules are different for alot of small things. For example in some places they don't bag your groceries or offer to help you to your car in other places they automatically do it. In some places you order tea you get it hot not cold and some places it's sweetened and others it's not. When i was young not a JW I went to college in a different state and got a partime job at a bakery on my first day a man walked in and ordered a dozen rolls and i had been raised to call donuts donuts and rolls were bread items like hamburger rolls so I said "we don't have any rolls". He looked at me like I was crazy because unbeknownst to me they called donuts rolls in that part of the states. Where I came from a soda was coke or 7up but there soda's had ice cream in them So it can be confusing for sure.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I'm from Texas and we always called them "bags" as in "paper or plastic? I'm a Starbucks woman myself, but as others have stated, in the South (East) they bring you sweet tea if you don't specify. I , like Blonde, do not use suger in my tea or coffee. I save my sugar indulgences for Snickers.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    The yankees (northerners) are out of their minds

Depends on where you go. For example, I've learned that putting ketchup on a hotdog in Chicago is an unforgivable sin.

• talesin
    talesin

Poutine is made with fresh cheddar curd (which is white). However, there are soft cheeses available at mid-Eastern grocery stores that will do the trick. They are mild, soft, and fresh.

Another option is to make your own mozzarella, and use that fresh, soft cheese for your poutine. The less desirable option is to use mozza purchased at the grocery store.

It's been a few years,, no,, MANY years, since I've travelled in the States, but it was always hard to find a good, strong cup of tea. Those Lipton bags,,, uggh!

Apparently, tea has become one of the newly marketed items to the American public, so there is now more availability of good tea,,, strong tea. Of course, this is all about exploitation of the consumer, BUT, I think it's good because y'all can finally get to enjoy a cup of strong tea, instead of the dishwater that has been the standard.

tal

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is this series on HBO called Treatment, based on an Israeli TV series about a psychologist and his patients. The psychologist emigrated from Ireland. He was treating an Indian patient. The conversion veered towards weird American practices. Tea was mentoined with both sides passionate about how disgusting tea is in America. They both exclaimed that Americans serve it lukewarm when it should be hot.

Tea is very in vogue now. I've tried looseleaf teas of decent grade and followed the directions for brewing in a meticulous fashion Lipton it is not. They both should not be called tea.

A friend from Hong Kong with billions remarked how Americans are wasteful. Chinese teabags last four days and repeated dunkings. She says you just keep it longer to steep. Curious as to how real tea drinkers feel about that practice.

• talesin
    talesin

BOTR

My grandmother always kept a pot of black tea on the stove. She would sometimes add a bit more with water, and the brew was just as strong, and mui good!

It's true that tea is en vogue with the market atm,,, thus, my comments about it being one of the latest highly marketed trends. Follow the money!

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was explaining to Palmie that in Santa Monica, they banned plastic bags, so they don't ask you for paper or plastic, but when u do take the paper, it costs 25 cents a bag. So people have to bring their own. I never here it referred to as a sack. If they asked me if I wantred a sack, I would simply look down and tell them that mine is doing just fine, thank u

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit