Americans! What is up with your Iced Tea?

by palmtree67 72 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"You all claim to hate it, yet there's one on every corner."

We're addicted to it. Moreover, with this Great Depression and all, we can maintain our full figures with fewer than five bucks.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We love Taco Bell. Taco Villa was better, but I think they are all gone.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Here in the Deep South, the default is sweetened ice tea.

And it's called sweetea.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Taco Villa

Wow, you are taking me back over 20 years.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

OK, good. I frequently order iced tea in restaurants, so I will be more careful now.

I also learned that "bags" are called "sacks", due to this conversation:

SUPERMARKET CHECKOUT GIRL: Would you like a sack?

PALMTREE: A sack of what?

SUPERMARKET CHECKOUT GIRL: **eyeroll**

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, the US is a large place with many tastes even in tea. We don't like sweetened tea (add our own) so when we travel in the SE US, we carefully make sure that we order UNsweetened iced tea. Had some nasty surprises. We are pre-diabetic and want to choose when sugar is added to our food. We make our own iced tea at home and use a variety of teas separately or a combination.

In restaurants, iced tea is usually served unsweetened except in the Southeastern United States where iced tea is much more common and is available both sweet and unsweetened and "iced tea" is often considered to be " sweet tea " unless otherwise specified. The reason for the presweetening is that it may be difficult to dissolve sugar in iced tea, even with constant stirring. The result can be insufficiently sweetened tea and/or gritty, undissolved sugar crystals in the tea. Some restaurants have begun serving iced tea that has been pre-flavored with fruit essences, particularly passion fruit , often as the only iced tea made available.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    SUPERMARKET CHECKOUT GIRL: Would you like a sack?
    PALMTREE: A sack of what?
    SUPERMARKET CHECKOUT GIRL: **eyeroll**

I don't know what part of the country you visited, but around here we call them bags.

Its a big country.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

In the deep south of Texas, tea is still served unsweetened (thank goodness). Just in the last few years they've started offering it both ways.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It depends on where you are. I hate ordering tea down south, and getting it sweetened. I don't sweeten my tea, but in the south you have to be very specific. Up here, it usually comes without sugar, and you add it yourself---you know, like normal people.

• undercover
    undercover

Up here, it usually comes without sugar, and you add it yourself---you know, like normal people.

Damn Yankees...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit