Americans! What is up with your Iced Tea?

by palmtree67 72 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

hahaha,, when I was a child, my grandmother would say 'It's not a napkin, dah-ling, it's a serviette.' ...

t

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    when I first married we moved from Texas to the Midwest. There was no Dr. Pepper or 7-11's or taco bells, El Chico's, etc.. I could not imagine any place that primitive.

SW Michigan has no Waffle Houses and it has no Morrisons, Luby's or Furr's cafeterias or Piccadilly ones at that.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Yeah it was total culture shock moving where I'm at. Here are some of the changes:

~ A grocery bag is a "sack"

~ A shopping cart is a "buggy"

~ You don't "Put it away", you "Put it up"

~ I thought I knew what barbecue was... I was SO wrong...

~ I never ordered iced tea back home because...well...it was gross. Until I was introduced to Sweet Tea...OMG!! I order that more often than not. And if they only serve unsweetened, I use Splenda or Sweet N' Low to sweeten it up.

~ All soda (or "pop") is a Coke... You order a Coke, you get this response: "What kind? Dr. Pepper, Sprite..."...WTF?? I said COKE!! lol

~ I never knew french fries topped with fried onions and jalapenos and dipped in ranch dressing were SO DAMN GOOD!! I thought Ketchup was as good as it got lol.

~ Fried cheese curds...Just...OMG...

~ Telling someone the time has become an exercise in overcoming language barriers...we're both speaking English, but if I say it's "quarter of one"...they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Taco Bell is a guilty pleasure... I gotta be in the mood to eat total crap that doesn't even slightly resemble the cultural cuisine it's supposed to represent. Now that I've had REAL Mexican food, I hardly ever eat Taco Bell (or Taco Casa...or Taco Bueno...lol)

Long John Silver's is an affront to REAL seafood lol

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

LOL

I'm beginning to see there's not alot of consistency in this country.

I remember visiting New York City and when I asked the waiter for "cutlery", he almost died - "What are you from the 1800s?"

• LV101
    LV101

Palmtree --- have you tried ordering ice tea at Starbucks/Las Vegas? Seems it comes all sugared up (or did) because I always order mine unsugared and if I'm not specific it comes otherwise. It comes w/out a lemon wedge also --- i hate lemon in my tea but many prefer it that way. They have great black, ice tea, btw -- best out there.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I didn't know they had ice tea at Starbucks here, but I'll check it out.

I'm finding that the menus in Canada vs. the US are different, even if it's the same restaurant.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I live in the midAtllantic region. It may npt be true but I see a correlation between the quality of the restaurant and the option of unsweetened and sweet tea. As a diabetic, I become annoyed when tea is already sweetened. People with a sweet tooth can always add sugar or a substitute. Sweetness has always been cloying to me. Fine restaurants never seem to serve presweetened tea.

Fast food chains, places where food is poor quality seem to specialize in very sweet tea.

It is nice to give people with health issues the option of how they want their iced tea.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Another difference is in some parts of the U.S. when you say "mango" what do you think of? When my aunt who was born and raised in Mississippi refers to a mango, she means a green pepper, when I think of a mango, I think of the fruit.

• Glander
    Glander

My grandfather was born in Mississippi in 1894. He always referred to a paper sack as a "poke'.

Ice tea is always sweetened in the south. They also don't know how a poached egg is cooked and red eye gravy is greasy water.

My wife and I went into a small sandwich shop in London and ordered roast beef sandwiches. They had a display of packaged single serving potato chips. My wife said, "Oh, and 2 chips".The lady said they didn't have chips. My wife pointed to the rack and the lady said "Oh, you means crisps". Over there, chips are french fries.

By the way the roast beef sandwiches were a paper thin slice of roast beef between two slices of bread with a smear of horseradish.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    When my aunt who was born and raised in Mississippi refers to a mango, she means a green pepper,

I worked with an Aussie girl and she called green peppers "capsicums"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit