What Is Your Favorite Overlooked Movie?

by gilwarrior 137 Replies latest social entertainment

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Citizen Kane 1941 - what else?

That one is hardly "overlooked!" It consistently gets rated as the all-time best movie ever made, just as "Plan 9 From Outer Space" consistently gets rated as the all-time worst sci-fi movie ever made!

The UCLA school of cinematography still uses Citizen Kane as the paragon of what a first-class movie is all about.

Farkel

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Wow Farkel, I’m impressed.
    You learned the “flight of the bumblebee" in 5 days, gads you must be a great pianist!

j2bf
    still trying to get the third movement to Moonlight Sinata down!

• dubla
    dubla

i have to agree with waiting on the usual suspects....thats the first movie that popped to mind when i saw this thread, but im not sure if it can be considered overlooked or not. another one of my favorites that alot of people havent heard of is things to do in denver when youre dead, starring andy garcia and christopher walken. if you havent seen it, and you like gangster movies at all, go rent it tonite.

aa

• New Eyes
    New Eyes

Train Spoting

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

I loved the Usual Suspects. I actually have the box set including the who is Keyser Soze? pin and "the usual suspects" zippo. I know...I feel the envy !!

Another good movie that came out right about the time of the Usual Suspects and SEVEN (another awesome...but not "overlooked" movie)... was Copycat (with Siguorney Weaver, Holly Hunter, and Harry Connick Jr). Anyone see this? It is a reeaallyy great movie.

Sadie

• Valis
    Valis

I forgot the Loved One by Evelyn Waugh and Doctor Strangelove.

Smoke and The Piano, which both star Harvey Kietel

187 , that has a chess playing Samuel Jackson

THX 1138, which was one of Spielbergs early movies

The Magic Christian, based on a novel by Terry Southern, with Peter Sellars, Ringo Star, Raquel Welch, Yule Brenner, Roman Polanski, and many other cameos.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• borgfree
    borgfree

I would put "Undercover Blues" in the catagory of unknown/forgotten. I had never heard of it before I saw it on TV. I thought it was very funny.

• Simon
    Simon

I remember watching 'V' as a kid sadiejive and being scared (hey, I was little). I remember joking that the woman would call her baby 'Liz' for Lizard and when she announced her name was, yes Elizabeth, it wasn;t as scary after that.

• Simon
    Simon

My film choice:

Scanners for a scary one
    Waterworld for a modern one (I thought it was great)
    When a Stranger Calls Back - fantastic suspense for the first half without anything happening ... just a voice behind a door. Surprise ending quite good.
    Glengarry Glen Ross - anything with Al Pachino has got to be great.
    Frequency & The Thirteenth Floor - both pretty good time travel related.

Maybe some old ones with Deanna Durbin (lovely) and Ingrid Burgman but I have not really seen any for a long time.

I'd forgotten about A perfect World - it was a great movie too.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know if they were overlooked but I also liked Silent Running (I think it was called) with Bruce Dern. Probably one of the first films that really upset me - remember the little robot left on it's own after he blew himself up with the one he couldn't repair? (sniff).

And Phase IV (or VI? ... 4) the one with the intelligent ants.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit