IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    If God/Jesus can read our hearts...knows what we would do with his knowlege if he shared it with us...he MUST contact people who previously knew nothing about him. If not....why not? Wouldn't that be unfair on people simply because they were born in the wrong part of the world, and weren't taught about him?

If the Bible account of God appearing to Cornelius in vision is true, then God should have no problem doing that a lot. And yet.....

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

........HE does. You just have to listen to the voices whispering in your ear

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If you saw god or jesus in your front room, right now.... would that be enough? Would that be for you the undeniable evidence you needed ?

http://www.ted.com/talks/oliver_sacks_what_hallucination_reveals_about_our_minds.html

• tec
    tec

I find it odd that people hear Jesus talk to them but also claim that not all bible books are from god, that's somewhat picking and choosing what one wants to belief out of a book that claims to be all inspired.

You think this is odd because you think the book claims to be inspired. (all or nothing) It makes no such claim. Men have made that claim about it.

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    You think this is odd because you think the book claims to be inspired. (all or nothing) It makes no such claim. Men have made that claim about it.

(EDIT) Yes, the same men who wrote the book[s]. (added S)

• tec
    tec

No, the man making the claim about it did not write the books within it. (books, not book) Paul never claimed that any of his letters were inspired. (some parts of them from God, yes... some parts of them from himself and the understanding he hoped he had from God) Luke never claimed that his books were inspired, but rather that they were investigated deeply, and an account put together for Theopholes (sp?). Revelation does claim inspiration. So do many of the books of prophets, as they were 'in spirit' and wrote what they saw while so.

Inspired is also not the same as infallible.

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

2 Timothy 3:16,17 - All Scripture is inspired by God

• Revelation 19:9 - These are true words of God.
    • Isaiah 1:2 - The Lord has spoken.
    • Jeremiah 10:1,2 - Hear the word which the Lord speaks. Thus says the Lord...
    • Ezekiel 1:3 - The word of the Lord came expressly.
    • Hosea 1:1,2 - The word of the Lord that came ... the Lord began to speak by Hosea, the Lord said...
    • Jonah 1:1 - The word of the Lord came to Jonah.
    • Micah 1:1 - The word of the Lord that came to Micah.
    • Zech. 1:1 - The word of the Lord came to Zechariah.
    • 1 Corinthians 14:37 - The things I write are commands of Lord.
    • Ephesians 3:3-5 - The things Paul wrote were made known to him by revelation. Formerly these things were not known but have now beenrevealed by the Spirit to apostles & prophets.
    • 1 Thessalonians 4:15 - We say by the word of the Lord.
    • 1 Timothy 4:1 - The Spirit expressly says.
    • Matthew 1:22 - A quotation was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.
    • Matthew 2:15 - Another passage was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.
    • Acts 1:16 - The Spirit spoke by the mouth of David.
    • Acts 28:25 - The Holy Spirit spoke by Isaiah ... prophet.
    • Hebrews 1:1,2 - God spoke in times past to the fathers by prophets. But now He has spoken to us by His Son.
    • Matthew 15:4 - Jesus Himself confirmed that Scriptures were from God. He quoted the Law revealed through Moses and said it was what Godcommanded.
    • Matthew 22:29-32 - He said the Scriptures were spoken by God.
    • Luke 10:16 - He also confirmed the inspiration of the New Testament for He told the apostles who wrote it: He who hears you, hears Me; he who rejects you rejects Me and rejects Him who sent Me
    • John 16:13 - He promised the men who penned the New Testament that the Spirit would guide them into all truth

Borrowed from gospelgateway.com...

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

So we have....

TEC: No, the man making the claim about it [inspiration] did not write the books within it.

...and then....

TEC: Paul never claimed that any of his letters were inspired. (some parts of them from God, yes...

Revelation does claim inspiration.
    So do many of the books of prophets, as they were 'in spirit' and wrote what they saw while so.

Which is it?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hang on, I'm jumping the gun.... TEC, you're saying that not every book in the canon specifically claims to be inspired, therefore you don't believe all 66 qualify as being of divine origin? Which ones do qualify? How do you determine which pieces were directed by god himself?

• tec
    tec

Which is it?

I believe I stated that the bible does not make the claim that it is inspired (all or nothing). (see post 8409)

Some parts and books inspired, SBC. Not the whole thing. There is no contradiction in anything that I said.

As for 'all scripture is inspired'... sure it is. But which parts are scripture? Do you know? Do you think Paul thought of his letters as scripture, and that is what he referred to with that passage?

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit