IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Also, I have to go to work... be back in a few hours.

Peace,

tammy

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

tec - what makes you think any of the bible is inspired? Because you need to believe some parts are, just to satisfy your own belief system?

Maybe tell us exactly which parts of the bible are inspired, or better yet, re-write the bible in a way that only the inspired sections are in your new version. I am also referring to God's inspired verses (passages) not man inspired so you don't misinterpret what I wrote. Maybe Aguest can do likewise in another room and then we can compare the two to see if the voices you both hear are from the same source. Any other voice hearers should do likewise and then we could confirm this new revised bible is truly the completely inspired book of God.

Otherwise, medication might help, or at least some therapy to overcome the deep rooted belief system that's creating this voice "phenomenon".

• still thinking
    still thinking

diamond...what if they did go into different rooms and pick out the same parts as inspired? Then what...would you still say they need medication? Since they have not participated in your experiment, I think it is jumping the gun to diagnose them. Don't you.

I could make sweeping statements that all believers should get therapy....ALL religious followers...even the pope...but considering many people go through their lives with some sort of belief...that would keep the therapists very busy indeed. Actually, now I think of it, a support group for people recovering from religion would be very interesting wouldn't it?

I understand your frustration about picking and chosing bible passages and books as inspired...I think you and sweetbaby have made some good points.

That list you put up was very interesting sweetbaby...I have never seen that before.

• tec
    tec

Hang on, I'm jumping the gun.... TEC, you're saying that not every book in the canon specifically claims to be inspired, therefore you don't believe all 66 qualify as being of divine origin? Which ones do qualify? How do you determine which pieces were directed by god himself?

I think I answered this with my post that came before I saw the above, but yeah, I don't believe all 66 qualify as being of divine origin, especially when Luke specifically says what prompted his and others. A recording of events.. not inspired prophecy or anything.

At the very least, I suspect that the prophet would state that he was given revelation or inspiration for what he (or a scribe) later records.

tec - what makes you think any of the bible is inspired? Because you need to believe some parts are, just to satisfy your own belief system?

Because I understand 'in spirit', at least somewhat.

Not because I need to believe some parts are. In fact, I don't need to believe that any parts are... at all. I need only believe in Christ, and the witness accounts to Him don't have to be inspired to be truthful. I can go to Christ, Himself, with my questions, and wait for understanding or answer.

Maybe tell us exactly which parts of the bible are inspired, or better yet, re-write the bible in a way that only the inspired sections are in your new version.

A, it is not my job nor my right. B, it would be like taking a step backward, since God communicates via spirit. C, anything that can be written can be tampered with or misinterpreted.

I am also referring to God's inspired verses (passages) not man inspired so you don't misinterpret what I wrote.

I don't understand your meaning here.

Maybe Aguest can do likewise in another room and then we can compare the two to see if the voices you both hear are from the same source. Any other voice hearers should do likewise and then we could confirm this new revised bible is truly the completely inspired book of God.

Ah, I see what you mean here. Of course, that would be assuming that God worked that way (testing Him). That it would serve any purpose (it would not; those who do not want to see, will still not see). That God wants us to be dependent upon a written word that can be and has been in the past, altered and misinterpreted. (He does not... he desires those who worship in spirit and truth)

Again, a step backward.

Otherwise, medication might help, or at least some therapy to overcome the deep rooted belief system that's creating this voice "phenomenon".

Crazy or lying, right, lol?

Don't worry about me, Diamondiiz.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Maybe tell us exactly which parts of the bible are inspired, or better yet, re-write the bible in a way that only the inspired sections are in your new version. ...diamond
    A, it is not my job nor my right. B, it would be like taking a step backward, since God communicates via spirit. C, anything that can be written can be tampered with or misinterpreted. ....tec

Now here is something that can be supported by something tangeable....tec...how would that be a step backwards? If he is communicating with you about which books are inspired and which aren't....why not share that to help others?

No one is asking you to tamper with anything...maybe a list of uninspired books would be beneficial...you seem to know what they are and how to diferentiate between them.

• tec
    tec

Now here is something that can be supported by something tangeable....tec...how would that be a step backwards?

People had the written law and books before Christ. Christ emphasized the spirit, and baptized in the spirit. To go back to depending upon books is a lack of faith.

Law written on hearts. Not law written on stone tablets.

If he is communicating with you about which books are inspired and which aren't....why not share that to help others?

He is not.

My understanding is based on Christ, and some of what is written is also the same as the understanding granted me. But I do not depend on the book or what is written in it to KNOW. Perhaps to think about. But to KNOW, I ask Christ. In the meantime, all I simply live as Christ taught as best I can.

I barely look at the bible anymore, other than to look at the conte x t of something being quoted.

It would not be helping others, though, to get them to depend upon writings and/or men (to which category I belong) all over again. Helping others is getting others to open up their perspectives, to let go of narrow thinking, to open minds and hearts to Christ, to spirit, to possibility, to thinking for themselves. To look to the spirit and depend upon Christ. That sort of thing takes practice, and soul-searching, and reflection and prayer.

I hope I am clear?

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thats great tec...But...you have made the statement many times on this site that some books are scripture and some are not...How do you know this? And to make that statement you must have a good idea of which aren't. Especially when you generally quote scipture that you believe is to support what you are saying....or is it that you just post scripture that supports what you are saying?

I know you are saying that you only quote scripture for others benefit and in reply to the scripture they quote...but how do you know which scripture to quote? Does god tell you? Or does it fit with what you already think?

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Of course, that would be assuming that God worked that way (testing Him). ...tec

Doesn't the bible say to test things? or isn't that part scripture?

• tec
    tec

you have made the statement many times on this site that some books are scripture and some are not...How do you know this? And to make that statement you must have a good idea of which aren't

Some yes. But that is there for anyone to see. It is not based on special knowledge from me.

Luke, for instance. In his opening paragraph, he states how his book has been compiled... making no mention of having been 'in spirit' to recieve it, or having it given to him from Christ or God.

He states this:

"Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitness and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seem good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most e x cellent Theophilius, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

So, not inspired, but rather investigation and accounts handed down from those who were eyewitnesses.

As opposed to:

Revelations: "The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw..." and "On the Lord's day I was in the Spirit."

Everything John was given and shown was in spirit. He did not investigate or hear things from other people passed down. It was given directly to him. Many of the prophets begin their revelations in the same way. "I was in the spirit, God revealed such-and-such to me, etc, ec.

I know you are saying that you only quote scripture for others benefit and in reply to the scripture they quote...but how do you know which scripture to quote? Does god tell you? Or does it fit with what you already think?

I just remember what's written. Sometimes it comes to me, sometimes I might google to verify what someone else has said. Most of the time I google to find the chapter, verse... because I never did think memorizing that was more important that actually knowing what was written.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Doesn't the bible say to test things? or isn't that part scripture?
    Test inspired ex pressions and determine their source, yes.

It also says not to put God to the test.

There is a difference.

The test from diamondiiz seems more like trying to get God to do tricks on demand, even though the result would be inconclusive... no matter the particular result.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit