IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I realize that these are not attributes of the god you worship, but when it's beaten into you from birth, you really can't help it until you make the decision to change.

I understand this. I also understand that what was 'beaten into you from birth' can be very loud... and perhaps got in the way of you being able to hear Him. Perhaps you could not hear Him because you did not recognize His 'voice'.

I understand that there are also some things that I cannot hear (yet) because my preconcieved bias and or ideas are loud and in the way.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking
    I truly wanted a relationship with him. I just never got an answer.

This seems to be a common theme with those who no longer believe or don't have much belief left.

I'm not sure those who still believe truly comprehend the pain and greif involved of letting it all go...no one would chose to torture themselves like this if they hadn't got to the point that there was no other way.

I am not totally at that point....yet...but, I do relate to the pure devistation of realising I might not have a god to believe in.

Right....I'm off to dinner...see you all tomorrow

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

Hope you had a great time last nite

By the way my god SHE say hi........

I don't believe in patriarchal, paternalistic clap trap..... neither did the Macedonians. Theirs was matriarchal, maternalistic.

Love 'n' Thoughts Wizz

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    LKL: I don't get it.

Yeah, I left it a bit open for confusion, didn't I?

That's supposed to be me raising my hand, saying that I can relate to your post... the heartfelt prayer.... and all that other shit.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

tec "I understand this. I also understand that what was 'beaten into you from birth' can be very loud... and perhaps got in the way of you being able to hear Him."

Sometimes it's what's beaten out of us that causes an inablity to trust without reason.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I think doubt prevents hearing,
    Ahhh very convenient.
  • tec
    tec

Sometimes it's what's beaten out of us that causes an inablity to trust without reason.

Beaten in, Beaten out... both are loud and both form distrust, I agree.

Ahhh very convenient.
    Or simply true.
    Peace,
    tammy
  • Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Or simply true.

I was once told by a Baptist friend of mine, that the reason I did not believe is because god had not chosen to enlighten me. You are essentially saying the same thing. One can only hear when they already believe (do not doubt)? Don't you see the self fulfilling nature of that?

Personally, I think it goes back to what Low Key said here

JWs teach you to be cheauvanistic, mysogenistic, and to think you're better than everybody else.

But I don't think it's just JW's, I think it's religion/believers in general.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    TEC: I also understand that what was 'beaten into you from birth' can be very loud... and perhaps got in the way of you being able to hear Him. Perhaps you could not hear Him because you did not recognize His 'voice'.
    I understand that there are also some things that I cannot hear (yet) because my preconcieved bias and or ideas are loud and in the way.

TEC, do you realize how frustating it is to be told that it is some fault of my own that I couldn't make contact with my "father"? I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE SINCERE IN MY SEARCH. How many tears does a kid need to shed before dear old dad speaks up a bit more, huh? Why does a heartfelt search not count more than blind faith? Or do you just assume we weren't sincere enough? Why would a caring father permit 'what was beaten into me from birth' - at no fault of my own - to interefere with his message??? What a petty douchebag! Can't he speak a bit louder and more clearly for those of us who are hard of hearing?

If my kids are in danger, I make damn sure they can hear me.... I don't whisper and then let them walk off a cliff and then be all, "Well, I know that background noise was loud but Jr should've perked his ears up a bit more and recognized that I was calling him." I'm so f*cking tired of sharing the title "father" with Christianity's concept of god. I'm a helluva lot better father than any invisible deity they've dreamt up... because I AM HERE FOR THEM, WHETHER THEY LISTEN TO ME OR NOT. Even when they get bad attitudes, my kids don't have to wonder if I love them, how important they are to me, whether I'm proud of them, if I'll support them, or if I'm protecting them.

I AM NOT SO AMBIGUOUS AS A FATHER THAT I COULD POSSIBLY BE MISTAKEN AS A FIGMENT OF MY CHILD'S WISHFUL THINKING.

The same cannot be said of any Bible god.

Debating you is like trying to nail jello to a tree, TEC. Cofty summed it up best when he said you've made god your own cosmic sock puppet.

• tec
    tec

I was once told by a Baptist friend of mine, that the reason I did not believe is because god had not chosen to enlighten me. You are essentially saying the same thing. One can only hear when they already believe (do not doubt)? Don't you see the self fulfilling nature of that?

I'm not saying that at all. It is more a simple statement. Internet communication requires a carrier (telus, shaw, whatever) Spiritual communication requires faith. Faith is the tool (the good service carrier). Doubt is the bad signal.

(There are other ways of communication too, though. Letters, phone, speach, body language. Just like God can communicate in simple acts of love, or through revelations of the universe, etc)

I don't think that I am better than anyone else. In fact, I know that I am not. I knew that when I heard. Because it was simple faith that allowed me to hear; and not anything good on my behalf. That was one truth I realized, and it is enough to bring a girl to her knees.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit