IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Still, I'm so sorry, but I'm going to have to do this just once on your thread. I apologize in advance.

Christ told us to obey his teachings if we love him, and if we do these things, then he and his father will come and make their home with us.

This is what I chose to do, out of love. I did not put a time limit on the 'then' part of it. I just trusted... had faith... that He would do as He said He would do. That God would lead me where He wanted me to be (not where I wanted to be - though the two could merge, you never know) No matter how long that took. If I was 80 before it happened, then so be it. I just loved Him, and followed as best as I could because of that love. I also did not ask for a sign. (actually I did once, and never received anything in answer to that, and well I should not have, because no signs will be given) Asking for a sign is a sign of lacking faith, not having faith.

Now I cannot answer for anyone here. I can share only what happened with me, and where my head and heart were as it happened... that is all.

Your relationship with him or not, is between you and Him. Not you, me and Him. And if you have done all that he asked, all that he said, if you are ever standing before him, then you can state that... in fact, you would not even have to, because he will know.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Big plans for the weekend?

Yep. Going to see some dinosaur bones at the museum with the kids and Arnold Palmer Invitational is on.

Making wine at parties and knockin up virgins I suspect?

Heavens, no. I never like to be their first. Ruins for the rest of the guys after me.

Unless you're too busy spitting in blind guys' eyes, cursing unlucky trees, and sending pigs to their death...

Bacon is good. Pork chops are good.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

SweetBaby, have I told you today that I love you? Consider it done.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    There are other ways of communication too, though.... Just like God can communicate in simple acts of love, or through revelations of the universe, etc

Glad that "god" thing worked out for him and he didn't try to make it as a journalist. His communication skills are particularly vague and, therefore, ineffective.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    TEC, do you realize how frustating it is to be told that it is some fault of my own that I couldn't make contact with my "father"? I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE SINCERE IN MY SEARCH. How many tears does a kid need to shed before dear old dad speaks up a bit more, huh? Why does a heartfelt search not count more than blind faith? Or do you just assume we weren't sincere enough? Why would a caring father permit 'what was beaten into me from birth' - at no fault of my own - to interefere with his message??? What a petty douchebag! Can't he speak a bit louder and more clearly for those of us who are hard of hearing?
    If my kids are in danger, I make damn sure they can hear me.... I don't whisper and then let them walk off a cliff and then be all, "Well, I know that background noise was loud but Jr should've perked his ears up a bit more and recognized that I was calling him." I'm so f*cking tired of sharing the title "father" with Christianity's concept of god. I'm a helluva lot better father than any invisible deity they've dreamt up... because I AM HERE FOR THEM, WHETHER THEY LISTEN TO ME OR NOT. Even when they get bad attitudes, my kids don't have to wonder if I love them, how important they are to me, whether I'm proud of them, if I'll support them, or if I'm protecting them.
    I AM NOT SO AMBIGUOUS AS A FATHER THAT I COULD POSSIBLY BE MISTAKEN AS A FIGMENT OF MY CHILD'S WISHFUL THINKING.
    The same cannot be said of any Bible god.
    Debating you is like trying to nail jello to a tree, TEC. Cofty summed it up best when he said you've made god your own cosmic sock puppet.

Bravo! Couldn't (& didn't) have said it better myself. I'm not a father, so I love SBC's perspective on that point.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    It has come to my attention that it is probably true (I believe it scripturally interpreted) that it is acceptable to NOT understand and to understand but it is NOT acceptable to MISunderstand. People feel comfortable to settle on believing whatever they believe whether it is true or not. Of course no one here would chose to believe something not true on purpose knowing it is not true. Would they?.....N.drew

What does that mean n.drew? I have read this over and over and don't understand....sorry, that wasn't a joke...I just realised how that sounded as I am writing.

If it is NOT acceptable to Misunderstand....how are we to know when we are being unacceptable? Surely most of the world must be unacceptable in gods eyes then because there are so many different understandings....*gosh, I hope that made sense*

• still thinking
    still thinking

panhandlegirl, sweetbaby and knowsnothing...thank you for sharing your thoghts on Pascals wager/theory...I especially enjoyed that video......although it did go quite quickly and I had to pause it all the time to absorb what it was saying.....*could be due to the 1 glass of wine last night...sad isn't it? one glass and I've gone to the dogs....lol*

It was ironic that the theory worked very well....providing you had the preconcieved belief that christianity was the obvious truth.

It was pertinent to the discussion because that is exactly what I am trying to achieve....to remove biased, preconcieved ideas and find some semblance of truth. It has given me a new perspective to consider....for that, I am grateful to you both....

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

So, how you "know" and how you "prove" are two entirely different things? Who would've thought?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Wizard of Oz....

Thanks Wizz....yes we had a lovely evening, thanks for asking. Hello wizz's God...LOL

• still thinking
    still thinking

knowsnothing....LOL....I know, it sounds contradicory.

The thing is....as a believer we all know it is practically impossible to prove it to someone else...I tried...I failed.

So....I am not expecting anyone to do something I couldn't...I am just asking how they prove it to themselves....and from what I can tell, that is by personal experience.

I am interested in different perspectives and what it takes to make people believe...some could be completely different to what I needed to believe...those are the points I am keen to hear. How they know...from their perspective....*god I hope I am making sense today...that wine has messed with my head. N.drew...is this what causes you to speak wibble? Is it the wine?*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit