It CAN'T go on much longer

by jean-luc picard 45 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hi jlp . . .

I read an article recently that identified a general problem. People constantly tapping into news channels for the latest disaster and reinforcing an apocalyptic outlook. It's been identified as motivating a rise in doomsday cults, conspiracy theorists, as well as mental health problems and suicides. Obviously, an aging JW has got a big head start, but one thing is sure . . . it's definitely not healthy. It's hard to do anything in your situation except to keep an eye on her and stick to uplifting subjects I guess.

I couldn't find the article in question . . . but this one makes some valid points . . .

http://www.thespoof.com/news/magazine/doomsday_preppers_cause_world_wide_panic_10808.htm

• rebel8
    rebel8

And whats this latest propaganda with the " Armageddon" magazine which she spoke to me about?

I don't follow the ragazines, but I do love it when they do their Armageddon's A-comin' issues! They scream, "We're crazy," which prevents innocents from joining up.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Sad thread.

Lots of lives lived in expectation of an imaginary boogeyman.

• Quandry
    Quandry

It has to be sooooooooon, because in 1973, when I was baptised, we only had two more years until 1975-oh, wait-nothing happened in 1975, did it? Well, no one knows how long Adam was alone before Eve was created.

But, really, it is so close now, it's just around the corner, it's as close as the inside of my eyeball, it's.......

• 00DAD
    00DAD

cofty, your story about you and your father skipping stones reminded me of a couple of times doing that with my kids, once when they were around 10ish in Hawaii and then a few years later in the Redwood forest of Northern California.

Those were magic moments. Sadly, I have left the cult and they are still in. Recently I had the rare opportunity talk to my youngest son (I haven't spoken to my older boy in 3 years) he said, "We never did anything fun when we were kids."

So strange. I can remember SO MANY beautiful things we did. I hope some of those memories are still in there for them waiting to resurface at the proper time. Thanks for sharing your story and reminding me of mine.

00DAD

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

How did u address that comment?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I think a lot of JWs wish for it because it will bring change to their unbearably pointless lives. They have spent their lives spreading a false message and wasted hours in meetings and assemblies. If armageddon doesn't come then all of this was a waste. Unthinkable!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Thats a horrible ending to a terrible story. Reminds me of the Japanese Generals after their emperor stated he wasn't a diety. Or Russian Generals after the wall came down. A lifetime of acheivements and ideals that were disqualified as falsehoods

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

This is what really gets me. They really believe it. Really, really beliieve it.

I constantly hear phrases like "any time now" "it must be really soon, it can't go on .ike this" "God's chariot is picking up speed" (anyone else keep hearing that one?)

An elderly sister was telling me this week of a sad little family she visits where the husband has done dreadful things and this and that has happened. Very sad, yes, but NOT proof that the end is in sight. This particular elderly sister, who has been "in the truth" for 55 years now, sees every crime, every desertion by father and husband, every earthquake, every illness...whatever it is, she sees it all as Armageddon getting ever clkoser, and, here is the extraordinary thing...as evidence of Jehovah's guiding and loving hand.

I mean, how come? How do they work that one out, because this sister is not alone...most of the JW's say this stuff to each other and believe it.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

It's like taking a starving person and telling them they'll get to eat real soon just wait a little while longer, then pipe in scents of delicious food as a decoy; now the individual is eagerly looking forward to this long awaited feast. During this time the deprived person never realizes that the meal is never coming, there is no food at all, it was all a lie; however they sit at the table salivating.

That's what wash-towel does, they promise the end and a wonderful paradise soon just wait a little while longer, then they pipe in fluff to keep you hoping and hooked; the reality is there is nothing coming, they're just toying with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit