Blame the designer and not the product: God and the lame Free Will argument

by Terry 140 Replies latest watchtower bible

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ha ha sizemik...so true. And to add to this, God punishes people looking for knowledge...just look what he did to adam and eve...so we are expected to make the 'right' decisions based on...........oh..thats right....free will...and certain death.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Sorry had to edit that last one. It was garble for a while

• sabastious
    sabastious
    One Robot is programmed to always do the right thing at all times because of programming.

^ You could call this a street light program written in machine language.

The other Robot DECIDES ITSELF to do the right thing at all times on its own.

^ You could call this an Angel made out of pure energy.

Two robots, big difference.

-Sab

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL Sab...half my posts are garble.

Anyway...back to the gift of free will....now that I think about it...it wasn't given at all..Adam and Eve took it. They behaved freely...apart from God and were punished for that behaviour. The 'GIFT' of free will was NOT given to us by God...it was given to us by Adam and Eve. Their free will just pissed God off so he cursed us and all the earth.

So much for the gift. No wonder he continues to get annoyed when we don't do what he wants.

• sizemik
    sizemik

To use Sabs illustration . . . only someone with free will can decide to become a robot.

So instead of making robots . . . god made people with free will to decide to become robots for themselves. God knew in advance that some wouldn't use their free will to become robots, so that those free-will robots could feel good about their decision to become robots. And those who refuse to become robots would feel bad about being dead. God's lesson . . . you just have to use your free will wisely . . . by relinquishing it and obeying me . . . willfully. If you don't I'll kill you. Have I got that right?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    only someone with free will can decide to become a robot.

So much for the gift.

It's a gift to some and a curse to others. It depends on where you start from and where you end up.

-Sab

• tec
    tec

I do not remember reading anyone answer Ding's question.

Would you want stepford wife, who will do all the things you want because it is programmed into her. Or would you want a real woman, who might not do everything you want her to, but you know that it means something when she does do something for you?

I think Ding asked it better. Bottom of page one or two.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yes tec....someone did

simon17Re: Blame the designer and not the product: God and the lame Free Will argument posted a day ago (3/11/2012)

Post 410 of 412
    Since 7/25/2009

Put this in another context.

Would you prefer a Stepford wife who is programmed to be whatever you want to a wife with her own will and emotions who may let you down?

Supposing you want the latter, thats fine, but you can't say you want a wife who will love you and stay with you by choice while threatening to kill her if she were to ever leave you. That's abusive.

If God said that he wants humans to serve him out of love and things will be better that way, but if you want, go out and live with Satan and whatever life that ends up being, then that is an ACTUAL choice. Obey me or die is free will in a technical sense, but it is also the height of emotional and/or physical abuse.

• tec
    tec

Ah yes. I thought that was beside the point of the question, though. It threw something in that we could debate about instead (then the question will get lost in something else), rather than answer the simple question... leaving all other points aside for the moment. Would you prefer a Stepford wife who is programmed to be whatever you want to a wife with her own will and emotions who may let you down?

Peace

tammy

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

This is the one thing nobody is ever able to explain to me!

If a genius designs something to operate in a specific way in order to obtain a precise outcome and it doesn't work---tell me again why we don't blame the genius designer/manufacturer??

Good point, but you have to look at the end result. That is, once "free will" was created, God basically figured probably 1/3 of the choosers would not like what he had planned. That is their choice. So did God lose 1/3 of the heavens he had planned, or did he think ahead and overbook like the airlines do, anticipating some cancellations. If the latter, then things ended up (or will end up) pretty much as God has planned.

That is, the price of the temporary "chaos" is worth the resultant order.

LS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit