Blame the designer and not the product: God and the lame Free Will argument

by Terry 140 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Free Will was a gift.

And I'm saying FREE WILL is a ridiculous burden considering that the ONLY difference it makes is when it is a WRONG choice---not when it is a RIGHT one.

Two people. One has the instinct to help others and the other simply decides on a case by case basis according to their own momentary thinking.

Which of those two people do you want around if your daughter falls into the lake and can't swim?

If the person with "instinct" saves her are you going to sneer and say "Thanks for nothing, robot!"?

If the person with Free Will decides NOT to save her are you happy because at least SOMEBODY had a choice?

See how silly this all becomes when you examine it rationally???

When the birds sing (by instinct) is it no longer beautiful?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Free Will was a gift. You didn't read, much less ponder, my words. You stopped at the word "gift".

• journey-on
    journey-on

You're getting "free will" and "choices" mixed up.

• Terry
    Terry

Free Will was a gift. Think about it for a second. God desired "others" separate from Himself. Through the denseness of matter and man's five senses, God experiences His creation, and Man bebopped along for eons, evolving upon Earth, and living close to nature.

Man reached an evolutionary crossroads. It was time and he was ready to receive The Gift of Free Will. The scenario was put into place, the Watcher/Temptor was assigned, and Man chose to discover who and what he is on his own. He still has the spark of God, but he also has free will. He can align himself with God (Love) through choosing to, or not.

I read the whole darned thing and it is ALL ASSERTIONS. There is no evidence of anything in it. You can't speak for what God desired, can you? How?

You can't know what God feels, can you? How? You can't prove a point by simply stating that it is SO.

I'm asking you WHAT is the DIFFERENCE between a good deed done by instinct and one done by CHOICE?

What advantage is there to being able to choose WRONGly?

• Terry
    Terry

You're getting "free will" and "choices" mixed up.

Hardly!

If I break my neck and I'm sitting in a wheelchair paralyzed from the neck down I can WILL MYSELF to walk and move my arms all I want to but I HAVE NO CHOICE but to sit there motionless!

Your WILL is your imagination but your CHOICE results in something that HAPPENS.

The reality of your NATURE (your condition) determines things--not what goes on inside your head.

• journey-on
    journey-on

There is no such thing as a good deed done by instinct.

The advantage to being able to choose wrongly is simple. I---not you, not God, not the church, not the government, etc.---made the choice separate for all others. Me Me Me! Right or wrong, I have the RIGHT to make the wrong choice.

• baltar447
    baltar447

A mother feeding and protecting her young isn't a good deed or instinct? That's a fallacious statement.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Terry, your circumstances are what they are. Time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all. If you're paralzyed, your choices are limited, but you have the free will to choose which one you take.

• Terry
    Terry

There is no such thing as a good deed done by instinct.

Tell that to the dog that drags his master out of a burning room!

The advantage to being able to choose wrongly is simple. I---not you, not God, not the church, not the government, etc.---made the choice separate for all others. Me Me Me! Right or wrong, I have the RIGHT to make the wrong choice.

You did not state an ADVANTAGE all you did was attribute ownership of a deed done!

I asked what is the ADVANTAGE to being able to commit a wrong deed by choice so that God would allow all the bad consequences of those bad choices to corrupt the history of mankind?

• Terry
    Terry

As a friend of mine said, free will is the power to do wrong. If you can only do right, you don't have free will. If God wanted something that could only do right, he could have stopped after he made insects.

Were that true then insects would be doing GOOD since God created them. Is that what you see in nature? I sure don't!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit