Blame the designer and not the product: God and the lame Free Will argument

by Terry 140 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Would you want stepford wife, who will do all the things you want because it is programmed into her. Or would you want a real woman, who might not do everything you want her to, but you know that it means something when she does do something for you?

We really don't EVER KNOW why another person does or doesn't do something. We only guess. We suppose. Or, we puzzle.

The problem with the question becomes obvious if you consider what would happen to your perception IF:

somebody lied to you about which one has Free Will.

We judge matters according to what we THINK and never really know if we operate on lies.

I think the problem with this thread is that we get too many silly, unthinking "answers" that don't even consider the true points of the questions!

What makes you think FREE Will is a "gift" when all it can do is get you in trouble??

There is no difference between a robot programmed to obey and man with Free Will who is forced by God's threat of death who knuckles under

and obeys. The Freedom to NOT be Free is no freedom at all!

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Is there free will? I have no choice but to believe.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Well I feel free to disagree . . .

• botchtowersociety
  • Terry
    Terry

It has come to this!

• talesin
    talesin

Free Willy!

j/k hehehe

What makes you think FREE Will is a "gift" when all it can do is get you in trouble??

There is no difference between a robot programmed to obey and man with Free Will who is forced by God's threat of death who knuckles under

and obeys. The Freedom to NOT be Free is no freedom at all!

Agreed ....

But how much opportunity do we have to exercise our Free Will, when the government becomes more fascist every day?

(just adding another wrinkle to the discussion)

t

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Terry: Do you know how silly that sounds? Try to be serious.

Ok let me put it this way, humans have a wide variety in our way of loving, like the food we eat, the cloth we wear, the work we do, even the places we go. Now looking at animals it is certain they lack the ability to discern and approach situations as we do. Animals have no moral obiglations to anything what so ever, they dont know good or bad.

One thing people dont realise is that, our free will is not to decide whether we do good or evil, our free will concerns all the descisions we make whether they be good or bad. i can choose to eat any type of meal i want for breakfast thus excercising my free will without failing any of my moral obligations, the same can be said about the cloth i wear, the places i go, etc.

But even as much as i have the free will to choose what i eat, i must not forget that there are consequencies whether good or bad for the actions i take, supposing i eat a meal which is not favourable to my keeping a healthy life, then i should be ready to face the consequencies of my actions.

I hope you get the picture.

have to go now, i would try and finish my points later.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I own over 400 Asimov books. He is one of my heroes.
    However, you can't quote FICTION to prove FACT.

Terry, straying away from the Free Will subject for a moment - do you have his "World of Carbon" and "World of Nitrogen"? I had them when I was a kid and have never been able to find them again - I would like to read them again. I just finished "Asimov on Physics".

I think I like Asimovs real science books as much or more than his science fiction.

Could that be free will, or am I just fooling myself?

• N.drew
    N.drew

The designer who is the Creator had a choice to make or not to make. So it was hardly possible to make children in the image of The Creator that do not have choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

straying away from the Free Will subject for a moment

Vintage books are a lucrative business. I saw a not so fine library copy of a children's book sell for over $100.00. I think some people use old children's books for some kind of time travel. Old toys, same thing.

• Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit