Cognitive Dissonance for Fundamenatlists

by leavingwt 128 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    TEC: Men can justify any action and deem that it comes from love.

Wouldn't that suggest, then, that love and faith are unreliable paths for someone who wishes to understand reality?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If love is the only criteria, one could legitimately say "I LOVE banging whores. Therefore Jesus supports me."

Or... "I LOVE shooting up heroin, smoking meth and then having bareback sex in turkish bathhouses. Therefore Jesus supports me."

Or... "My girlfriend loves it when I sleep around on her and then slap her in the face if she speaks up."

Love is subjective, relative and can be used to justify anything.

• tec
    tec

Of course, but that's only a small part of the reason. :-) I'm trying to assess things using your standard of scrutiny here, namely love.

I understand love from Christ. That is my standard of scrutiny.

(which is why love God is the first commandment, and then love neighbor is the second. Very close, but in order to understand and love our neighbors we sometimes need to love the one who loves us first. For instance... if I knew that God loved someone, then I can't very well hate them. I must love them to. "Must" as in compelling me to, not as in a rule to follow. It helps in an argument with someone, if you're actually angry, to remind yourself that God loves this person every bit as much as He loves you. Perhaps more. It used to help put things into perspective, for me at least.)

So why not give Jehovah's Witnesses the same benefit? Or Mormons? Or Islam and the Quran? Just reject the parts that conflict with love.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

...hence the books that make up the Bible, including the gospel. The circle never ends.

Also not sure what you mean here.

Wouldn't that suggest, then, that love and faith are unreliable paths for someone who wishes to understand reality?
    ... hence Christ who came to teach and show us truth. But l ove and faith are reliable paths for how to live, how to treat others, and to have a relationship with Christ and God. As for understanding reality... what type of reality you are talking about? The natural, physical world around us? Human behavior... and all the different 'paths' that entails? Something seemingly paranormal? We use different tools to understand different things. Peace, Tammy

• tec
    tec

EP, I think you can understand better what I am saying if you read the above post as well.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Very close, but in order to understand and love our neighbors we sometimes need to love the one who loves us first.

Untrue.

• tec
    tec

You read the 'sometimes' in that sentence, right?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Then perhaps you mean some people, sometimes. Sometimes read to me as though there are times in all of our lives when we need to understand this god in order to show love.

Many of us are capable of loving without that example---and in extraordinary ways. When I am dealing with a difficult person, i really don't need to think about what a third party thinks of the person, or what I 'should' do by outside standards. When I'm dealing with a difficult person, I simply remind myself that I am difficult myself, and I believe even unlikable people should be handled humanely. No outside influence forces me to be loving and kind and even generous when appropriate. I don't hang with people I don't like---but I can always be counted on to help.

NC

• tec
    tec

Then perhaps you mean some people, sometimes.

Yes.

And I have, sometimes. When I have been hurt, or if I let myself get really angry. Sometimes I need the reminder. I don't remember the last time I needed that... perhaps just once was enough to incorporate it into my thinking. But it did help put things back into perspective and keep me from getting all self-important.

Peace,

Tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew
    Many of us are capable of loving without that example---and in extraordinary ways

I believe the love that reflects God's love is much more than being fair, tolerant and understanding.

Everyone at one time or another has needs. God knows what our needs are. People can only guess what someone else needs and usually we are not present or able to provide when need arises.

The Son of God knew what was best for every person he met and he was ready to provide for their welfare. Humans can imitate the skill Jesus has(Jehoshua who is Jah is salvation) . But if a person is being led by a bunch of rules, he cannot reflect God's love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit