Cognitive Dissonance for Fundamenatlists

by leavingwt 128 Replies latest jw friends

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

NC - I can't forget that one. I think my dad burnt that drama forever into my brain...."It's just a little thing..." "It's Zimri...he's with a MIDIANITE WOMAN...HE'S TAKING HER INTO HIS TENT" Phineas (not to be confused with Ferb) (if you have kids you'll understand) grabbed a lance....Screaming "And the scourge was halted" right after he pierced them through.

I was young and that was considered good entertainment on every car trip we had!

SMH

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Something like: "See how soft and smooth our hands are? Not like your wilderness women." !!!!

That's how I remember it anyway. PTSD PTSD PTSD

LOL

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Phineas (not to be confused with Ferb) (if you have kids you'll understand) grabbed a lance..

Haha, I thought the same thing. I just can't picture sweet little Phineas with his Dorito-shaped head impaling some poor couple through the naughty bits.

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Phineas says, "Ferb! I know what we are gonna do today!!!" LMAO

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

So, another valid question to ask to fundamentalists is, does morality exist without God?

• cofty
    cofty

Christian apologists often misquote Dostoevsky to the effect that, "if there is no god anything is permissible".

He never actually wrote those words but they are implied in his novel "The Brothers Karamazov".

In fact the opposite is true - if god is the source of morality then anything is permissible.

• sizemik
    sizemik

In fact the opposite is true - if god is the source of morality then anything is permissible. . . . cofty

And history is your evidence . . . starting yesterday.

There is little that's more meaningful in life IMO . . . than exhibiting human morality because you choose to . . . and not because you are compelled to or expect to be rewarded for doing so.

It's the height of virtue standing alongside true liberty . . . and much like aged wine . . . you'll never really know how good it is until you try it.

But like the cork in the bottle . . . you must first dispense with God and religion.

• tec
    tec
    But like the cork in the bottle . . . you must first dispense with God and religion.

The mistake in this thinking is the assumption that people must serve out of fear of punishement, or hope for reward... rather than simply out of love. I assure you, that while the former might be true for some... the latter is as well.

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Tammy, that was nicely put. And I'm fairly certain my JW brother feels the exact same way. He is a genuine fellow, as you seem to be (genuine, not a fellow) and while I don't believe any one of us can be completely altruistic, he comes as close as anyone I've ever met. I think he follows the rules because he sincerely and desperately wants to please his "father"... He has the love of this *concept of Jehovah* and it really does seem to motivate him to do good.

Maybe all roads do lead to heaven if love and faith are all that matters? I guess that's another topic.

• tec
    tec

Maybe all roads do lead to heaven if love and faith are all that matters?

Another topic, I agree, but... the above is one road. The road of love and faith.

"He who does the will of my father in heaven is my mother, brother and sister."

I'm glad you can see your brother in that light, and do not let religion or different belief stand between you.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit