Cognitive Dissonance for Fundamenatlists

by leavingwt 128 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

Here's my take on the Bible God telling the israelites to slaughter the people of Canaan. I remember back during the 2000's when George W Bush wanted to invade Iraq and topple Saddam. He actually believed that God was behind him in his decision. At least that was how I understand it. Can you imagine if the Bible were still being penned during this time? What would it read?

What is sadder is that so many sheeple in America agreed with Bush's directive with the most staunch agreers living in the more rural parts of the U.S..

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

This is how I can trust that he would not ask me to do such a thing. Because it is against His teaching, command, and example.

Well, no. Jesus specifically said he came to fulfill the law. In Matthew 15, Jesus specifically said that those that ignore the law for their own convenience worship him in vain, using the specific example of one cursing his father or mother being put to death. Jesus taught that the law should be followed, including all the killing.

So, if God (or Jesus) told you to kill me, you would not. You have a higher moral code than God and Jesus. Interesting.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I would ask, respectfully as Abraham did... Lord, how I could do something that is specifically against what you taught me and what your Son showed us all?

Abraham may have asked that, but he was still prepared to do it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Your complaint reads more like somebody who is disappointed that God isn't Sky Wizzardy enough
    to get stuff accomplished except through whatever political structures happen to exist at the time.- sulla

No my complaint is that your god is a blundering buffoon.

If I was tasked with putting a stop to child sacrifice in Canaan I am certain I would come up with a better plan than slaughtering every single child.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If you want to know God - who He is/what He wants - then you must look through Christ; no one else. Or you won't know Him.

Well I think it is perfectly valid to look at Jesus, and to see that he is in complete agreement with his father, and to conclude that looking only at Jesus, he father was a brutal killer. He and his father are one. He introduced a kinder, gentler form of judgement and warning, but he did not condemn the previous courses. He agreed with them. That is looking only at Jesus. Who as soft and lovable as you'd like to make him look, spoke a great deal about judgement and punishment. Maybe he just said it nicer, but the message was the same.

Geez, even JESUS didn't dismiss the scrolls written before his appearance. He read them in the temple. He kept the law. But okay, I guess his followers are more moral than he is since they are willing to dismiss what Jesus valued. Cognitive Dissonance is the OP.

NC

• cofty
    cofty

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. - Matt.5:18

• tec
    tec

Here's my take on the Bible God telling the israelites to slaughter the people of Canaan. I remember back during the 2000's when George W Bush wanted to invade Iraq and topple Saddam. He actually believed that God was behind him in his decision. At least that was how I understand it. Can you imagine if the Bible were still being penned during this time? What would it read?

I agree.

Well, no. Jesus specifically said he came to fulfill the law. In Matthew 15, Jesus specifically said that those that ignore the law for their own convenience worship him in vain, using the specific example of one cursing his father or mother being put to death. Jesus taught that the law should be followed, including all the killing.

Um, no he did not. But if you can show me one place where he set someone to be killed for breaking the law, then you might be onto something. Instead we have a place where the law is broken by an adulteress, and Christ said that he who is without sin could cast the first stone. The law called for her stoning. But he did not follow that law. He showed mercy and forgiveness instead.

So, if God (or Jesus) told you to kill me, you would not. You have a higher moral code than God and Jesus. Interesting.

It might be interesting if it were true. But it is not. I follow Him and the e x ample He left. (or I try, but I think about myself and put myself first far more than he ever did... if he ever even did that, and I think he did not ever do it) He never stoned a single person, and in the one place where stoning was called for... he forgave and showed mercy instead.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

And the most important command in the law: love God and love neighbor. Mercy was a more important matter in the law as well. Also, key words are 'till all be fulfilled.' What all? That he did what he came here to do? That is what I think.

Well I think it is perfectly valid to look at Jesus, and to see that he is in complete agreement with his father,

He is in complete agreement with his father. But again, not all that is written about his father is true, or after thousands of years, understood as it should be. Otherwise... again... why 'woe to the scribes?' Why send Christ to teach the truth? Why not say that the OT is the image of God, rather than saying that Christ is the image of God?

Who as soft and lovable as you'd like to make him look, spoke a great deal about judgement and punishment.

I do not mistake love... as being soft and lovable and hippie-like, as some like to say. People will be judged, and for the most part, they will be judged on the merits of how they judged others. Their own actions will judge them. The truth of who we are will be made known to us, as it is already known to him, and that sort of speaks for itself.

I always thought Christ was very firm. Merciful and loving, yes. But also a teacher and a leader. Not someone we can bs.

But okay, I guess his followers are more moral than he is since they are willing to dismiss what Jesus valued.

He valued faith, love, mercy, and forgiveness. His followers value the same... and embraced what He valued.

Peace,

Tammy

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

That OP is an excellent question!

My wife and I were talking about something similar just that the other day.

The nation had to kill Achan and his family in order to start winning battles again?? (Is it just me, or does that seem like a sacrifice?)

It seemed like back then your life was totally in the hands of someone else. I told her, I hope I would have packed my family up and left. The life of anyone didn't seem to matter too much. You did this....You die! You do that....You die! Someone sins secretly who you don't even know....You die! It seems it would have been better to be on your own away from the craziness!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The nation had to kill Achan and his family in order to start winning battles again?? (Is it just me, or does that seem like a sacrifice?)

Yeah, remember the plague that ripped through the camp killing people until Phineas speared Zimri and the Midianite princess through the genitals?? That was an action packed episode.

Edit to say: Oh yeah---24,000 people died in that plague sent by their god cuz he was mad at some of the members.

• tec
    tec

It seems it would have been better to be on your own away from the craziness!

Individuals can be sane. The mob is almost always crazy!

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit