"Awake" 1973 says Witnesses should not play CHESS it's EVIL!!!

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thanks Loveunihateexams

Know any good sites for kids learning?

Also, how you getting on? Half term now? Or do you brainy types not have half term LoL!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good sites for kids' learning? You mean chess?

Well, here's something for beginners, from the same website ...

https://www.chess.com/learn-how-to-play-chess

BTW - I'm not on half term, I'm not at uni. It didn't work out. Read my last post on my thread about that and you'll find out.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

My (nonetheless loyal) JW elder Dad generally ignored this advice.

In fact, he taught other JWs to play.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Chess has been a game of war since it originated...the games conection to war is obvious....a play substitue for the art of war...there is a danger of stirring uo competition with one another even developing hostility with one another something the bible warns against....What effect does playing Chess have on one? Is it a wholesome effect

Aaha. What a truth revealed!!. I cant wait to refer this to my still in JW spouse who is a great chess player

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes there some over righteous JWS men who are wanting to express their self righteousness.

They are also poorly educated idiots, slightly void of intellectual honesty.

If playing chess did actually cause fights to break out between participants, well there be some viability to this proclamation .

• blondie
    blondie

I remember those days...during the Bobby Fischer craze. But the WTS waffled later on this.

But note these comments

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101979044?q=CHESS&p=par

Playing Indoor Games

IN THE evenings, and especially during winter months, outdoor activities may be limited. What can you do for entertainment within your own home?...Backgammon, probably the oldest of the board games, is resurging in popularity. In the ruins of the ancient Chaldean city of Ur, archaeologists unearthed a still-playable backgammon set. The ancient Egyptians and Romans also played it. Contributing to backgammon’s popularity is the fact that it is easy to learn, yet is very difficult to master. And, of course, chess is another board game that has long provided many persons much pleasure.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101996688?q=CHESS&p=par

What are some things you can do at a gathering—besides simply watching TV, listening to music, or conversing? “We usually plan the evening in advance,” says Sanchia. “We’ve played games or had someone play the piano, so we could sing songs together.” An African youth named Masene says: “We sometimes play cards, draughts [checkers], and chess.”

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Ruy Lopez was a Catholic Priest, oh the horror!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Don't make me find it now but there was also an article on Golf around the same time. Something about a brother who set a fine example by giving up professional Golf since it is competitive and encourages you to want the other person to fail, not "Christian" qualities.

Rub a Dub

• Dagney
    Dagney

Memories {{{shiver}}}

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

The mother of childhood friends of mine was against chess. It’s a war game, silly.

She wouldn’t allow mariokart in the house, I’m talking early 90’s Super Nintendo shitty graphics. She would get distressed at the kids yelling out their violent threats to excecute green shell judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit