"Awake" 1973 says Witnesses should not play CHESS it's EVIL!!!

by Witness 007 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pixel
    pixel

"There was also an article on Pac man promoting greed and gluttony when that was the in thing. -JonathanH"

For real? does somebody knows where's the quote?

• simon17
    simon17

Elders have made the case for "Monopoly" instead of "Chess", anyone detect the insanity of this argument, I can tell a story about a nasty argument, two elders came close to "blows" over this subject. What is the goal of "Monopoly? What is the goal of Chess?

That IS ridiculous. If there is any game I've ever actually gotten pissed with someone over, its Monopoly! The Awake magazine railing against the dangers of Chess is laughable.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yes, checkers was okay and my father would play it with me. There were no articles that condemned checkers...that he knew of anyway.

I do remember how video games were condemned when they first came out. Space Invaders was viewed as violent. My family debated whether the flashing lights and sounds would hypnotize me and make me susceptible to demons. I really liked Ms Pacman. Of course, I remember my mother saying, "Those are ghosts?" So I think she was worried it promoted spiritism.

Alas, what would it have been like to have a normal childhood?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I do remember how video games were condemned when they first came out. Space Invaders was viewed as violent.

Still the case in the local congregation here. Not just once, but many times in the brief time I've been attending, elders and others have railed against video games, computer games, games of any sort really. And that's alongside soap operas, films of all sorts...I mean, come on, we all KNOW that Harry Potter was spawned by You Know Who, don't we?

• j dubb
    j dubb

Brought to you by the authors of Your Servant-The Pencil.

Remember, read the magazines long enough and its the equivalent of a college education.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It's all just about one thing: CONTROL.

Do what we tell you. Obey ... Listen, Obey and Be Blessed!

• Quendi
    Quendi

I'm sure that another game which the WTS would condemn is backgammon. After all, it promotes aggression, gambling and stirs up the competitive spirit too. There is no end to what the WTS will do to control its followers. I didn't know about its flip-flopping on chess--a game that has been characterized as "the gynmasium of the mind"--although that doesn't surprise me.

If this organization stuck only to reading and studying the Bible, all would be well. But it hasn't. It has gone far "beyond the things that are written" and walked down the same ruinous path that other tyrants and despots have. That is because it takes what it calls "Bible-based principles" and bends them to the fracture point. It does this because the rank-and-file lets them. They buckle under to the threat of disfellowshipping and subsequent shunning and so do nothing to safeguard and exercise their God-given free will and power of reason.

“It may be objected that devout students of the Bible have often proved to be the sternest fanatics. But the answer is easy. They were fanatics because they were students, not of the whole Bible, but of some one fragment of it to which all else was sacrificed.”

—B.F. Westcott

Quendi

• minimus
    minimus

Interesting article for some...

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I remember that very well. I had a JW school teacher, when that came out. He had taught me to play chess, and we played every day at lunch time. We had a good discussion about it, and both agreed that Chess is a game that teaches one to THINK, and to use one's mind to plan ahead!! It's not a game of war, they were wrong then, and are still, WRONG!!

If more leaders would play Chess instead of golf.................

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

in some homes tensions linger long past checkmate - I used to play chess regularly from the ages of 11 to 15. I played most often against my grandfather (non-JW). He was a fairly solid player and I got to be pretty good because I played against him. I went from losing to him, to holding my own, to finally beating him usually more times than he beat me. We didn't really checkmate each other because we were always watching out for that. We usually resigned when one of us could see that the situation was hopeless, e.g. if one of us gained a big material advantage. I'm a naturally competitive person so I hated losing but we enjoyed playing chess. We would shake hands and analyse each game afterwards.

Chess has been a game of war since it originated...the games conection to war is obvious....a play substitue for the art of war - this is nuts. As DB points out above, chess is a strategy game. It is a game of the mind, not the horrors of war.

The opening phase is the most well-charted. You start to learn lots of different openings - Ruy Lopez, King's Indian Defence, Nimzo-Indian Defence, etc.

When I was White, I often played the Ruy Lopez.

When I was Black, I sometimes liked to allow White to dominate the centre so I could snipe from the sides, so I tried King's Indian or Nimzo-Indian in response to 1. d4. I was struck with the elegance of those defences.

Edit - looking on the website below, I used the King's Indian more than the Nimzo-Indian because I remember the fianchettoed bishop on my king's side.

I usually liked to block things up in response to 1. e4 so I often opted for the French Defence, that felt 'safe'. Playing the Ruy Lopez as Black was ok too. I was fascinated by the Sicilian Defence because it led to an open game but I didn't really use it because I didn't know enough about that particular opening and what scenarios it could lead to.

https://www.chess.com/openings

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit