I don't believe the Bible is Inspired of god - Why do you / don't you?

by cantleave 202 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Are you asking me to prove beyond doubt that the Bible is inspired or whether I believe it too be?

No, its just that there is a danger of following something that offers false hope.

• xchange
    xchange
    From the Desk of Karl

1. Kiss Hank's ass and He'll give you a million dollars when you leave town.
    2. Use alcohol in moderation.
    3. Kick the shit out of people who aren't like you.
    4. Eat right.
    5. Hank dictated this list Himself.
    6. The moon is made of green cheese.
    7. Everything Hank says is right.
    8. Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
    9. Don't use alcohol.
    10. Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments.
    11. Kiss Hank's ass or He'll kick the shit out of you.

(Courtesy of Kissing Hank's Ass)

I believe the bible as much as I believe Karl's words are of divine inspiration.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

What danger is there to being Christian?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Leading a life that is not authentic and does not reach its potential?

• sabastious
    sabastious

Kids get oppressed that's where the danger lies. Parents need to keep their beleifs off their children. I am going to raise my kid to be a skeptic. Parenting Beyond Belief is what my wife and I are reading. I am firm believer in kids being allowed to believe or not believe. Too many Watchtower scars...

-Sab

• simon17
    simon17

Leading a life that is not authentic and does not reach its potential?

Without a believe in a higher power there is no technical "purpose" to life therefore technically no way to describe "full potential."

It could very well to live a good life and to be happy to many people. Being a christian, as long as one is tolerant of others, is a fine way to accomplish that goal for many people. For others it is to seek ultimate truth and answers about the universe, or contribute in science in some way. To others it would be help as many people as possible.

The poster said that the Bible is what they believe because its the best offer they have seen. A conscious choice has been made there and it is not dillusional or dangerous. Even if it turns out to be wrong, maybe its the best choice for them. I wish all christians so answered.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Leading a life that is not authentic and does not reach its potential

I thought that being a Christian was to be honest and how do Christians not reach there potential because they are Christian?

I thought God required us to love righteousness that surely means i must be authentic and reach my potential.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Without a believe in a higher power there is no technical "purpose" to life therefore technically no way to describe "full potential."

Says who? It means we are free to define and set our own values and goals in life, or not, as we wish. Belief in a God gets in the way of the process, and since all religions are man-made, you end up following the agenda of someone else, while imagining you are following a program set out by God.

• simon17
    simon17

I believe that 1 Tim 3:16 describes the process of which it was written by God.

You've made a littany of notes about special pleadings in Genesis. Day doesn't really mean day. Morning doesnt really mean morning. Light doesn't really mean light. Creating sun/moon/stars doesn't mean he really created them then. Every single verse seems to require some sort of note or explanation. When did people start making those special pleadings? Only after science debunked the logical reading of the book for thousands of years. Bible believers ALWAYS believed the world was created in 6 days. Any idiot would. Only when science showed this was wrong did people reinvent the words. The way it is written led men of science to believe in a geocentric universe for thousands of years. Its only logical. When scienced showed this was wrong, people reinvented what Genesis said again. No one in their right mind would ever read that and think the sun/moon/stars were created BEFORE flowering plants. It clearly doesn't say that. Only after science showed how things works does it get reinvented.

If it was really inspired, it would just describe things in an elementary way, sure, but in a way that wouldn't have MISLED EVERYONE WHO EVER READ IT before science figured things out. Is it that hard to say "In the beginning, there was nothing. Then over a great deal of time, god formed all of the stars, including our sun, creating light. Then over a great deal of time, he formed the earth. " etc etc... Its not hard to write a simple write-up of creation that is not obviously inaccurate (or, for a believer, entirely misleading!)

• simon17
    simon17

Says who? It means we are free to define and set our own values and goals in life, or not, as we wish. Belief in a God gets in the way of the process

And the Christian is not free to set their own values and goals because you find it to be rubbish?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit