Thoughts on turning 65 today

by Terry 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Today is my 65th birthday.

Chances are you have no idea what that means.

Would you like to know? I can tell you.

Turning 65 can only be described using these two words:

The first: Anagnorisis the moment of critical discovery; the discovery of one's own identity or true character

The second: Peripeteia the sudden, probable and necessary change of circumstance to its opposite

I have no doubt that half the people who click on this thread will stop reading right now.

More's the pity. If you do you've postponed your moment of critical discovery a bit longer.

To deny is to not bear.

Does all that sound too serious? Sorry. As my Grandma use to say: Tough Titty:)

If you live in the Western world, as I do, life is all about looking young, beautiful, fit, sexy and being cool.

Can anybody deny that? Not easily.

For the few of you left still reading...I continue.

Turning 65 is my peripeteia.

I can't "look" young without injecting boxtox into my lines and puffing out those telltale indices of Anagnorisis.

To not deny is to bear.

I'm 65 and will not dye my hair, botox my lines or lie about my age, chase after young women or avoid my reversal of fortune to come.

There, I've said it.

The culture I'm living in--being in denial--won't respect me for my experience. So be it. I'm not going to be anybody's role model.

They are too busy watching Brazilian Butt-Lift commercials and taking Ginko tablets.

My heroes have been buried a long time: Aristotle, Rachmaninoff, Shakespeare, Sorolla....

My favorite movies are referred to cloyingly as "Golden Era" and gather dust on the shelves.

I've become thrilled less and less. I've been disappointed more and more.

Turning 65 is a moment of honesty.

I wasted the best years of my youth in a cult. I was well-intentioned and stupid.

I failed at four marriages.

I never earned much money. I won't leave behind a fortune or dazzling possessions.

What's that you say Grandma? "Tough Titty".

Yes.

I see only a couple of stragglers are still with me. Looking for wisdom are you---or, just simply curious?

What is left for me to do is simple.

Love my kids. Effectively. Be there for them.

Continue writing as truthfully as I can about the poison pill of Jehovah's Witnesses.

And...

never stop learning. Be willing to be wrong......again. As often as necessary.

At least, this way, I do leave an important legacy:

It matters less that you've lived a fool as long as you die an honest man.

There! All finished. Thanks for listening.

Cheers!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Happy Birthday!!

And, you're welcome (I read the whole post and I don't normally do that with your threads).

Hope you have a nice day. Spoil yourself.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Happy Birthaday Terry

65 is the new 55

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Happy Birthday, Terry. I turned 60 on the 7th. It was the 1st birthday out. Very special. Like you, I find myself very reflective these days. I hope you had a wonderful day!

• Terry
    Terry

Thank YOU.

. If I've learned only one thing existing all these years that I can pass on to anybody else (who cares) is this. I've often been dead wrong. No shame in that, right? But--it gets worse. I've often been dead wrong---IN ADVANCE. Meaning what? I've decided I didn't like something...first. So what? Well, I'm the loser--aren't I? I was forced kicking and screaming to go see Lawrence of Arabia. "I don't want to watch a bunch of camels sweating" I recall shouting. Guess what? It is my favorite film. That sort of thing. I did not want to even "try" Sushi. I love it. Unimportant? Maybe. I'm just not THAT smart that I can get things right----in advance. Movies, music, books---whatever, even people--can SURPRISE the hell out you. But, you have to give yourself a chance. It's for you. That's it. Sermon over. Old guy stops talking now:) Cheers!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Happy Birthday Terry! I hope you have many more.

Got any tips on retirement? I'm getting closer every day. My hair is getting grayer every day. I haven't dyed it yet either but as a woman, I think I'm expected to. It is long and to dye that amount of hair is going to be costly -- in money and time. I don't have the time and I am not sure I want to spend the money. Haven't done botox yet either and I doubt I will. That stuff scares me. I hope I can continue to have relatively good health as I move towards the winter years of my life.

It matters less that you've lived a fool as long as you die an honest man.

My Father will die a fool and a dishonest man. But he doesn't even know it. I'm not sure which is more sad.

Terry, do you think you will ever write a book?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Happy Birthday....

My dad is almost your age........ .and half your wisdom. your seconds are more valuable than years of others.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Oh well... at least you still write good threads...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Happy birthday Terry.

Thanks for the sermon

Cheers

Chris

• cantleave
    cantleave

Looking good for your age Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest