Thoughts on turning 65 today

by Terry 73 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Happy birthday.

Perhaps you have a similar viewpoint as me. I wasted half my life in a cult. To make up for lost time, I just need to live longer.

You only get one live. This is not a dress rehearsal for the big show - this is it.

Enjoy.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, do you think you will ever write a book?

I did write one, "I Wept by the Waters of Babylon". Never published it.

Any tips for retirement?

Yes, live someplace really inexpensive and cook your own food. Eating out will cost a fortune.

• Terry
    Terry

Well, hey--I sure enjoy all these kind words. Aren't you guys just a peach?

Thank you!

• Terry
    Terry

Band on the Run wrote:

Coming to terms with death is very difficult. I find an increased sense of purpose to experience life to the fullest. It does seem strange about widsom and the ability to syntheize wide areas of displine. Just as you seem to have mastery over these affairs, society spits you out. Next, you die. I feel 15-20 years younger than my actual age.

I'm the healthiest person I know. I don't get sick or even have colds. It's always been like that for me.

Inside my head I'd say I'm about 20 years old.

All my kids friend's always tell them privately, "You have such a cool dad!"

Okay--I'll take that!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks Terry,

Happy birthday! I'm 6 years behind you.

Randy

• Terry
    Terry

Happy birthday you pompous old twit.

Hey, at least somebody got it right! Thanks

Here is me in 1995

And here is my most recent photo:

• cult classic
    cult classic

Happy BDay Terry!

Those were much appreciated words of wisdom.

Here's to many more

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Happy Birthday Terry

I'm looking at 60 this year with a long range view of 65. At 55 I was happy to start getting those "senoir's" benefits. I will get a few more of them this year and even more in 5 years. Yea

I have spent more years now outside the cult than I did inside (apart from early child hood)

I too have learned that family is the anchor.

I've often been dead wrong---IN ADVANCE.

Too often I knew this and do it anyways and then had to extricate myself from the problem I created by ignoring those feelings. I hope I have finally learned to listen before I leap again.

Learn to live honestly - yes a motto we can all live by

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hate to tell you this Terry but you are far better looking now

• james_woods
    james_woods

Happy Birthday, Terry!!!

Turning 65 can only be described using these two words:
    The first: Anagnorisis the moment of critical discovery; the discovery of one's own identity or true character
    The second: Peripeteia the sudden, probable and necessary change of circumstance to its opposite

Funny, now that was what I thought when I turned 40...and here I will be 63 this year.

I want to have you and Quentin over some Saturday or Sunday afternoon soon for tome BBQ and ancient JW history discussion.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit