Active JW understands flaws in WTS doctrine but believes in the Bible

by flamegrilled 238 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LV101
    LV101

I thought if we were to forsake the gathering of ourselves together we would seek out our own selfish longing (or something like this). I think this is true. Also gathering together is learning from one another --- iron sharpening iron. Don't believe this is only through a religious venue.

LV101

• tec
    tec

Sorry, no... I think I knew what you meant.

But no, He does not do as you suggest. (making him me) I am the one who changed (or tries to change) as to Him. He certainly does not reinforce all of my feelings... I am wrong WAY too often for that to be the case!

Peace,

Tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

If that particular scripture at Hebrews10:25 does not mean gathering in congregations but you insist that it does mean gathering in congregations then the real meaning will be lost to you. No?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome FlameGrilled! :)

1) By this all will know you are my disciples if you have love among yourselves (John 13:35). Sure I know that not all JWs do this, and that people from other religions or non-religious people do this also, but as an official doctrine JWs will NOT kill one another in war, and in general there is a genuine effort to exercise "agape" love not widely found in the world at large.

Can I suggest this chapter? Matthew 5

2) Preach the good news. Sure I know other religions try to an extent, but JWs are known for their preaching. One might disagree with the details of the message but I don't want to get into that here. They do certainly direct attention to God, Jesus and the kingdom.

What gospel is being preached? Galatians 1 Is it this one? 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

3) Gather together in worship. I include this one since I understand the arguments put forth in Ray Franz's book, but the NT really seems to be clear that some level of organized worship is required "and even more so as you behold the day drawing near".

Who is being worshipped and how? John 5:23, Hebrews 1, Colossians 1:15-21

Blessings in Christ, Stephen
  • N.drew
    N.drew

Matthew 5:46.

"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? "For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

JWs will say by their preaching they are showing Christain love. But what is the aim of their preaching? Their aim is to gather more people to think the thoughts of the Governing Body. If anyone staunchly refuses that person is marked as an enemy and will not be shown love until they came around, if ever, to the same thinking as the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Chalam
    Chalam

cofty So how do you know what jesus said if you can't trust anything in the bible?

Agreed!

The bible is first and formost THE way we know what Jesus said.

If one thinks the text is fallible then anything and everything in the book is open to fault.

The Holy Spirit is THE way by which we know what Jesus is saying. He is the Spirit of Christ, knowing the depths of God, teaching us all things and always pointing to Christ.

Blessings,

Stephen

• N.drew
    N.drew

The danger of misunderstanding what not forsaking the gathering together means, is by your believing that you are gathered you by virture of not seeking something you already have, will be forsaking it.

In other words, how can you go about being gathered if you believe you are already gathered?

It's not really wibble, just sounds like it.

• cofty
    cofty
    If one thinks the text is fallible then anything and everything in the book is open to fault.- Stephen

Agreed. I find nothing to suggest the bible is infallible but it just seems to me that there are a group here who want to have their cake and eat it. They make detailed assertions about what Jesus said or did but disregard the only possible source of that knowledge when it suits them.

• tec
    tec

I understand what you are saying, Nancy. Mulling it over, and I will ask about it :)

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

Stephen, I think the Holy Spirit is the first and foremost way to know what Christ said then and what He says now. (The two would not be in conflict of course) The bible is a tool that points to Christ, the Word of God. Cofty, something does not have to be infallable to have value.

Peace to you!

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit