I still miss Teena Marie...

by serenitynow! 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

Outlaw, thanks for posting that...never knew that until she died.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    All she did was yell.

Obviously, you didn't know her music... or listen to the videos I posted... dear RoosterDude. Ah, well... you can lead a barnyard bird to water...

Peace, chile...

SA, on her own... also thanking dear OUTLAW (the greatest of love and peace to, dear friend... and HAPPY WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!)...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Seems as if every time a black musician dies, we lose a lot of irreplaceable talent. That happened when the Temptations' original members all died. It also happened when James Brown, Barry White, and Michael Jackson (especially) died. I wonder what will happen once the likes of Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, and Aretha Franklin all die. And even rappers are not making rap like they used to--2Pac, Snoop Dogg, and other early rappers made better music than some of today's watered down versions. Even 50 Cent's latest CD is watered down compared to his Get Rich or Die Trying and The Massacre.

Like the Washtowel losing its best members through death, the music business is losing its best members. These are not getting replaced, either. When someone that was a legend dies, there is no one able to replace them--all they allow in is rubbish. The next Stevie Wonder is not going to be able to get a "I'll stick with your label, but I get to decide how my music sounds" type deal. Instead, the labels are all imposing that they get to decide how the music sounds--and it all sounds like rubbish.

At least it is because the music business itself imposes those rules and not because people are not willing to come forward that is the reason why talent doesn't get replaced. And attrition is not a major factor--unlike the recent spate of one-hit wonder dance/disco records and pop, most legends in R&B have strings of at least 20 R&B hits. Some of these span several decades--the Isley Brothers, for instance, is still making music despite starting in the late 1960s. Diana Ross was making R&B hits between 1964 and the late 1980s. Smokey Robinson was making hits in the early 1960s with the Miracles, and had solo hits as recently as 1987. And yes, Teena Marie had more than 20 R&B hits, even though not all of them made the pop charts.

Now, if only those damn radio stations, labels, and "indies(??)" that control our music would just get the fxxx out of the way and let the people decide what's a hit, this might have changed. But, that system is now bent on supporting the SOPA bill that will certainly mean the death of independent sources of music. Most good music is spread underground these days, and it will be lost if we get the Internet Kill Switch. The radio system is the real reason music sucks today--I would rather have more vitriolic rap like 50 Cent's first 2 CDs than have that pathetically lame excuse of "music(??)" that makes it through the "offend no one, please no one" radio system. And, if there is a word that offends a few people, so what (Money For Nothing, anyone). Again, "offend no one, please no one".

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I think she looked a lot like Momma Cass in that pic. She was a good singer, but I never really got into her music.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I LOVE TEENA MARIE!! Me and the husband went to see her in Detroit at Chene Park. It was a gorgeous summer night and she rocked the house! So glad that I was able to see her in concert before she passed. It was a performance to remember forever.

RIP Teena Marie

• No Room For George
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Shallow Miz is at it again...

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Shallow Miz is at it again...

LOL, that didn't take you long...........

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, sometimes I'm quick like that.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Yep, sometimes I'm quick like that.

Considering your age, that's pretty impressive. You ain't no spring chicken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit