Starting to read Crisis of Conscience....

by confuzzled777 64 Replies latest jw friends

• no more kool aid
  • JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It was an emotional book for me in that it made me angry.

Not that Ray was an angry person, quite the opposite.

The chapter that broke me was the one about the Society's long history of setting dates for the end, beginning long before 1914.

And then pretty much every chapter after that on through "In Search of Christian Freedom".

• Londo111
    Londo111

In In Search of Christian Freedom, I just finished reading the chapter 'The Faithful and Discreet Slave'.

Wow. I've read the words if Matthew 24:45 so many times...and only now do I understand them.

And who really is the Evil Slave?

* Those who in thier heart say, 'My master is delaying' (by not coming within the time they expected, such as say 1878, 1914, 1925, ect...)

* And thus, not being able to wait for the Master's return to be appointed over his belongings, they beat their fellow slaves, cracking the whip of authority, and set themselves over their fellow slaves.

* They become drunk with power and like a drunkard, make bad decisions. " And these also—because of wine they have gone astray and because of intoxicating liquor they have wandered about. Priest and prophet—they have gone astray because of intoxicating liquor, they have become confused as a result of the wine, they have wandered about as a result of the intoxicating liquor; they have gone astray in their seeing, they have reeled as to decision. For the tables themselves have all become full of filthy vomit—there is no place [without it]." --Isaiah 28:7,8

In fact, who do we know of that was drunk with power and also a confirmed drunkard in a literal sense? Hmm...

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I've not read ISOCF yet, I only have the PDF but i'm trying to get the actual book, just dont want to pay £60 for it!

• Londo111
    Londo111

I just bought the PDF a few days ago. Even though I have to read it on my laptop or via my iphone, it's very hard to put down.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

Confuzzled: Have you read it? Just wondering what you thought about it.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm on Chapter 15 of ISOCF.

I found out I'm not only one arriving at certain conclusions…and yet I've yet to scratch the surface of thinking. I seriously need to reread the Bible now--this time an unbiased translation. I've learned so much about the validity of door-to-door preaching, God's name, ect... I have found out I don't know a thing!

Also, when I was a Witness, I took the lack of shepparding personally. Now I realize the problem is systemic.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Confuzzled, I would like an update as well.

The book was very depressing for me and I was already out. I had to put it down for several days at a time. I need to focus on the positive, not the negative. When that happened, I read the last chapter and looked up the scriptures.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here's a site that lists two places you can still buy the book for $9.95 and $3 for shipping http://www.directtextbook.com/prices/9780914675242

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I think that's just renting the book for 9.95

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit