Starting to read Crisis of Conscience....

by confuzzled777 64 Replies latest jw friends

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

After almost 2 years of being wrongfully disfellowshipped and over a year after finding this site....I am starting to read Crisis of Conscience. I will not lie....I am a bit nervous as to what information I will find in the book. I have a strong feeling that I will end up crying through most of it as I will start to see the truth about the "truth". Was this an emotional read for any of you? Or am I over thinking it as I do most things I start.

I am a born-in and have had some doubts over the years as I have gotten older. After being wrongfully treated and then disfellowshipped almost 2 years ago, I started having MANY doubts about my faith and this religion.

SO I am taking the plunge and reading this book. Just thought I would share!

• afreeman
    afreeman

You'll thoroughly enjoy the book.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I actually found it quite uplifting overall but there were a couple of places I got angry (Mexico/Malawi springs to mind).

• Gayle
    Gayle

Great!! A 'must read!' I had so many issues of concern by the time I read his book. He ties it all together with a 'bow' on top with that book for me to achieve my final informed, and confirmed decision.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The first 100 pages can be boring. It reads like a WT article about someone's life story.

THEN, you'll get to the good stuff.

You are suffering from an irrational fear of 'apostate literature'.

How would a Mormon ever discover that he was in a false religion, based upon lies? By examing 'apostate literature', most likely. May you never fear the pursuit of truth.

Even if you discover some unpleasant facts, please know that there is contentment and happiness in discovering what is actually true.

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

Thanks guys! I am anxious to get to the "good stuff"!

leavingwt: "Even if you discover some unpleasant facts, please know that there is contentment and happiness in discovering what is actually true."

this is what I am hoping for by reading the book.....

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's a must read for all ex-jw's!!! I bought it but it took me about 6 months to get the nerve to start to read it... After I did I just couldn't get enough of it. Some parts are dry but i think he did that on purpose. He gives facts but doesn't ellaborate his fealings too much. It makes you come to your own oppinion as to what the events meant. 1/2 way through convinced me JW's are just wrong.... It took such a weight off my shoulders with thinking well they are God's chosen they just are imperfect people AWAY!!!

He is not bitter or trying to hurt anyone. By the end off the book I had so much respect for Ray!

There were some parts I'd have to put the book down for a day cuz it made me so mad at what JW's can do to people!!!

enjoy the read

FS

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Enjoy! It changed my wife in three days. She was struggling with low self esteem and depression, then she read CoC and .. BAM! A thousand lbs came off her shoulders just last month.

Gosh..when I first read it..... I was SOOOOOO guilty..like a 10 yr old boy hiding a Playboy magazine from Mom. That's embarrasing for a 50 yr old man to admit. The wife found my first copy and tossed it.."Cause we don't need demon trouble". WTBTS mind control.

I just laugh at ourselves now...sometimes with a little shame. I knew Ray Franz. He was a kind, humble, open & generous man. After Spanish, he learned French and served as an elder in a NYC Haitian Congregation - a tough neighborhood. Ray Franz was always open minded and sincere, looking for ways to be more effective in weekend service...I mean HE actually BELIEVED and practiced what he preached. I am ashamed I EVER believed any of the accusations against him. Read the book and enjoy.."the truth will set you free".

• Quandry
    Quandry

confuzzled,

I don't even need to read it...but someday I'd like to. Right now, I am working full time and concentrating on finishing up my degree-even though I'll be sixty in about a week, and it is still going to take one more year before I finish.

I remember your story. I am glad that you're at the point now where you'd like to examine the WTS with fresh eyes. How are your husband and two children doing? Are you all out together?

My husband and I were "in" over thirty years. My husband was an elder for twenty years...we left because our teen daughter was treated cruelly and accused of things she didn't do, then df'd by five b@$t@rd$ masquerading as spiritual shepherds. Sound familiar?

I only wish I had my thirty years back.

Please read the book, and then don't look back. Do whatever you put on hold because of the WTS, or make some worthwhile goals and follow through.

Wishing you happiness and contentment.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

What I want to know IF this is such an important book....Why is it SO hard to find? Why are copies on Ebay in the hundreds of dollars? Why doesn´t Ray´s widow MAKE more of them available?

I do not get that line of thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit