What really ended the book study in private homes?

by Alfred 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@Flipper!!..

Ya Miz is Joking..

Not everyone is getting it thou..

..................;-)...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I'm confused...my mom does book studies with a couple of people she is hoping to convert.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow, excellent posts!!!!

I'd say (b) and (c) - but with fokyc's post about isolating the JWs - and Flipper, and a few others - coming in as a strong third reason...

Everyone who indicated that the liability issue had to do with the pedophile problem, is probably onto something there... I wish we could know more about how and where the JW children are actually targeted by pedophiles - but I can't see a pedophile attacking a child while in the Kingdom Hall during a meeting - way too public; I suspect that going out in 'service' would provide greater opportunities for predation, but the in-home book studies? Probably also provided opportunities, too...

I really discount (a), because there is such an emphasis on "squealing" on any brother/sister who's not "measuring up" to Watchtower Corporation's 'theocratic standards', that anyone who is doing research on the sly would tend to do it while COMPLETELY ALONE...

Zid

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I'm confused...my mom does book studies with a couple of people she is hoping to convert.

Thats considered a Bible Study..

A book study is when Groups of JW`s would go to a Private JW home and study a WBT$ book..

"Book Study"..

....................;-)...OUTLAW

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

"It is kind of interesting that the WTBTS is planting the seeds of its own destruction, when it makes the JW experience less friendly and personal..... I really have to admire the Brain Trust in Brooklyn: they couldn't be doing a better job of destroying the WTBTS then if they intentionally planned to."

So true!

HQ

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, it was getting expensive- and time consuming to go to all the meetings- Hmm, which one to skip during the week- the two hour one on Thursday night at the KH or the one hour one at Sister Homemakers house with the coffee and fresh baked goodies afterwards? Dry stale spiritual food from the faceless F&DS or the coffee and peach cobbler-- no contest, the peach cobbler wins.

The WT might have eliminated the bookstudy in order to make sure the meeting at the KH was attended by enough sheep to look good.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Regardless of whatever the reason, it sure was shocking when it was announced. I mean, for an entire year or two prior, the Book Study was emphasized as THEE MOST IMPORTANT meeting of the week. Right around that time frame, the Book Study Conducter, was renamed the Book Study Overseer. The CO would visit and he'd read off all of the congregation's meeting attendance statistics and like clockwork, the Book Study was the lowest in attendance. Then he'd emphasize the need to be at the Book Study as its so important, especially if the Great Tribulation begins, yadda yadda yadda. And then, outta nowhere after two years of telling us how important the Book Study was, they ended the Book Study. Like that's it, done dada, finito, kaput, etc.. Jehovah's Chariot has suspension that would make Vin Diesal blush on the set of a Fast/Furious sequel.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh yea, all the excuses I heard from JW's back then. A family study night, the cost of gas, you name it. But again, the past is re-written as it was hammered to me back in the 80's when I was studying. All religions will be shut down except the JW's as they will be meeting in homes. WE don't need bricks and morter.

And then......

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It sure makes overall meeting attendance look better. Yes, the book study was SOOOO important that they got rid of it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

AH, understood Outlaw, thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit