How many ex-JW's are musicians on here?

by NoRegrets 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Just wondering how many of us on here are musicians, what we play, and if we had witness bands and/or performed. I have had quite a few funny moments of being in bands that wanted to be cool, but always had to nerf the edginess of any songs we played and watch the noise! I played with different elders who loved to rock out, but when they played at a congregation party didn't even want to use overdrive of any kind! (Such hypocrisy!)

Anyway, I play guitar mainly. I also play bass, piano, and mandolin. Is there a connection to music and leaving the JW's? Is a musician more pre-disposed to be an open-minded, liberal thinker?

NR

• N.drew
    N.drew

The posting box is finally visible. They aren't ignoring you NoRegrets.

I am not a musician, but, oh how wonderful it would be! The reason I am not

is faith no , not faith, oh, lack of money and imagination of the parents.

Some people seem to cling to the idea that people of faith do not prosper because

of their faith. I am giving them one example of that is not true.

I should know how to play the piano, I know it is not too late, thank you, but I do not own

a piano and I have no place to put a piano and I'm somewhat old. I did not know I

wanted to play, but I still remember Aunty Barbara saying "look at those long fingers, she

should play". But my mother, who is (was, she is gone-for now) not a religious person did

not say "do you want to learn?" "hell yes I want to learn!" But it didn't happen that way.

• jam
    jam

I have learn to play the guitar in my old age(5yrs now)

I play with the seniors citizens group. We are now practicing

to perform for xmas at the senior citizen center, we do not

sound that great, but it,s fun. My son-in law(A JW) is

A music promoter in Vegas. If I had remain A JW, no way

I would have learn to play A guitar as A elder, no time for

such nonsense, or learn to play golf.

• cedars
    cedars

I'm a musician and songwriter...

• White Dove
    White Dove

Pianist's music and singing taken away too soon, checking in:)

I sang in choirs and played piano for them.

Now, I have a djembe (African hand drum shaped like a wine glass) and want to learn to play it well.

• DT
    DT

I do some composing. I've written some chamber and classical style music. I've also done some microtonal music in alternate tunings (like seventeen or twenty-six notes to the octave instead of the usual twelve). A few of my pieces have been performed in concert, but I've never made any money from my music.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I could hardly be considered a muscian, but I did play the clarinet at the kingdom hall. We had live music for the songs at one hall, with a trumpet, clarinet and piano.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I play the violin had every KM memorized they are good warm up songs not too hard and they have differnt cords... I often played for congregation stuff... To be honest has been hard for me to get back into cuz I keep thinking about those memories when I pick it up... I need a good ex-jw jam to get it out of my system!!!

• mummatron
    mummatron

I'm musical, but sadly not a musician. As a kid I had access to a few different instruments and could play some fairly well (mainly self-taught) but as all time and spare money went into going to meetings and out in field circus, my parents couldn't afford for me to have private lessons. It always annoyed me as I realised our 'situation' from a young age and didn't really ask for much. I'd love to be able to play the piano properly. I've sung in choirs and occasionally get up and sing in public at parties etc but that's it really.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I know by the name you chose that you are musical mummatron.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit