How many ex-JW's are musicians on here?

by NoRegrets 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• Alfred
    Alfred

I'm not really a musician but do enjoy playing my bass guitar once in a while... it's quite relaxing...

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

My Dad is an awesome musician! He plays guitar and bass. He loves classic rock, all the stuff JWs couldn't play. He'd be in bands with elders and other JWs and have to play really crummy country music that wasn't controversial. Now that he's not a JW, he's in a regular band and can play music he actually enjoys.

My husband and I are both learning to play guitar...better late then never!

• man oh man
    man oh man

I play guitar, some banjo. Love bluegrass music as well as all other types of music. Would like to master the guitar but not enough time. I love to write songs when the feeling hits me.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

GREAT TO HEAR EVERYONE!!! Happy to hear how much music has helped you all!!!! It is a great emotional outlet!

• flipper
    flipper

I've been told I can carry a tune in my singing voice. I've enjoyed singing with my niece who is a recording artist who plays magnificent piano and she sings probably better than ANY female vocalist I've heard. My son Flipper junior and I have recorded casually some songs together with him on guitar and me singing. Flipper junior has a really sweet singing voice himself ! It's a stress relief for us and music is like a religion to us. At least that's how I look at it

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

count me in

• Itsallwrong
    Itsallwrong

I played saxaphone growing up from about the time I was ten and then switched to guitar around 16. I've played guitar for nine years now and I mostly play Jazz and fusion. I love composition and I'm a little obesessive about theory. I've taught lessons for a long time and ran a music store for several years up until just last year. In July I moved to Chicago from Saint Paul, MN and I've been trying to find a new group to play in. I have some really solid demos from a band I worked with in MN so when I send them out I get a lot of interest back but I've been really selective about who I work with. Just trying to be patient and find something that will be fun and give me a chance to stretch out a little bit.

I never played in a JW band, but I did used to jam with some elders from my kingdom hall in Michigan. I actually do think that my musicianship was a contributing factor to my leaving the religion. I got accepted to Berklee during high school (my high school band teacher helped me record my audition cd and even helped me fill out the application). When my mom found out she was pissed, and with the help of some of the same elders I played guitar with in my congregation she talked me out of going (worldly interactions and all that). She also informed me I would be on my own financially which basically killed any hope I had of going at the time. Of course after that I got pretty depressed for a while and my dear sweet mom blamed the music I listened to for making me that way (apparently Dave Matthews and Eddie Vedder were really bringing me down). I think all that proved to be a really swift kick in the ass in the right direction (out of "the truth").

I feel fortunate for those events, because if they hadn't I may be still stuck reading those collections of endless run on sentences better known as the Watchtower. Also I have a skill that I've worked furiously to achieve on my own and have had the privilege to share that skill with many others. So hopefully that answers your question and didn't use too many parenthesis (probably did though).

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

I play drums, guitar, and bass, and a teeny bit of piano. I started out on bass when I was around 10 after I had given up guitar after attempting to learn a G chord. ahahaha. Then I went back to guitar. Drums were relatively easy to learn how to play after the struggle with guitar and bass. I took piano lessons for about half a year but had to quit because my grandparents went back and forth between Arizona and California, so I couldn't get a ride to piano lessons. But I'm thinking about returning to piano and purchasing a console upright, maybe even a baby grand. I'm one of those people that lamely get inspired by things, so I recently watched The Pianist, and have always wanted to be able to play Chopin, or Debussy. I also really dig jazz drums so I was thinking about taking jazz drum lessons since I just play rock/grunge/punk (relatively easy types) drums. With guitar I enjoy playing stuff like Django Reinhardt, Charlie Byrd, Stray Cats, Nirvana, Beatles, basically jazz, rockabilly/psychobilly, oldies, grunge, punk, and noise rock (i.e. Sonic Youth).

I do think that music liberates the mind, especially in composition or writing lyrics, even poetry. I can imagine when starting to compose a piano concerto one has infinite options concerning the piano, and even more options with the strings/horns that would accompany it. Being that you have this blank canvas, this infinite choice, it instills an idea of absolute freedom.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

acoustic and electric guitar, upright and electric bass, mouth harp, flute, keyboards, percussion and turntables here. everything from classic music, classic blues and rock to heavy metal to some new electronic stuff. i'm working on several tracks at the moment, will upload them to soundcloud as soon as they are finished.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I've been in various cover and original rock bands as a bassist for about 20 yrs now. Standard Fender Jazz into a Hartke 3500 head on a 4x10 cab; tube pre and some comp give a pretty fat tone, bordering on that Ampeg sound. Never went anywhere serious with it but had a blast along the way ;)

Still play, write and record music with a couple guys but we rarely play out and it's just for the writing/recording aspect. I mix on the PC using Sonar X1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit