How many ex-JW's are musicians on here?

by NoRegrets 48 Replies latest social entertainment

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Very cool to hear so many varied experiences! I started piano lessons at 5. Stopped taking lessons but never quit playing. When I was 12, I started to dabble with the guitar with my cousin of the same age (also a JW). Found a lot of joy in it and played tons through my teens. Started a band with some others, played some cong. parties. I continue to play the guitar mostly and started picking up the mandolin in the last few years. Something different than the guitar for sure! Too bad we don't all live closer, it would be cool to have a jam session! Music is such a healthy emotional outlet!

• Diest
    Diest

trumpet, clarinet and piano

Thats crap all we got was that lame CD, ocasionally a Piano player. Is it more fun to be Dub outside of the US?

• Farkel
    Farkel

noregrets,

: Anyway, I play guitar mainly. I also play bass, piano, and mandolin.

I play the piano exclusively, but unlike you, (probably), I have played it for over 50 years. I mostly play classical music, but I'm am fond of ragtime music, some jazz and a few popular songs, too. I will never master the piano and unlike you, I wouldn't think of trying to play the bass, guitar AND the mandolin in addition to the piano with the goal of getting good at ANY of them.

I studied seriously for most of my young life from the age of 9 to my mid-twenties, and I built on that for the next 35 years or so, by practicing nearly daily.

I am quite good at it and have posted some of my stuff in here in years past.

I don't play the mandolin, though. I would rather be shot than be caught playing the mandolin. That's just me, though. I love it when Roy Clark plays the mandolin, and I would never shoot him!

Farkel

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I play the guitar, some rythm, and lead. I can do some Hendrix, and Clapton. I will not play, "Stairway to Heaven" backwards though.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Quarterback: Sounds like we're on the same page! Love Hendrix, SRV, blues in general and probably what I do best! I actually was told not to play Stairway at a guitar shop once! (I.E. Wayne's World!)

Farkel: Believe me, I'm no country bumpkin. But the mandolin does appeal to me more on a bluegrass and ESPECIALLY Celtic music level! Here's an example:

http://youtu.be/oYBCfmC9PHI

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I've been a working my musician my whole life.

I started playing Rock & Roll guitar in the '70s. Mostly what now would be called Classic Rock: Hendrix, Santana, Led Zep.

In my late 20's I started writing & producing music for commercials and low-budget indie films. Really loved that, but hard to make a living.

For a while I owned a music store - NOT a good gig. Just all the headaches of business but no time to play. That closed after 9/11 but I was left with 30+ private guitar students. I went back to school (under the JW radar) and got a B.A. in Music Education and now I teach high school music: Concert Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Music Theory and Class Guitar. One year we even had a History of Rock & Roll class. That was fun but it had small enrollment so admin dropped it.

Now I play classical, jazz and Satriani style shred metal for fun. I still sometimes gig with a bass player I know from the days BEFORE I was a JW.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

Very cool 00DAD! Wish you lived near me here so we could play together! I'm in MN. Where R U?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, No Regrets. I love blues as well.

I'm getting rusty on my guitar lately. Just feel so busy these days. It feels great when I get to pick it up now and then.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

NoRegrets: I live in Ventura County, California!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

DT: I like microtonal music too. Every time I bend a note on my electric guitar it's microtonal!!!

Actually a common rock trick is to bend a minor third slightly sharp, but not all the way to a major third. Very cool!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit