An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• darthfader
    darthfader

AK- Jeff

I know I'm late to this party, but I think you missed option 4

4- If God exists, this life is not a valuable as the "next one". Therefore any suffering no matter how great is only temporary and provides a valuable lesson about the choices between good and evil.

I don't believe this dribble, but once religious people believe that the "next life" (no matter what you call it: Heaven, New Order, Allah's Palace etc.) is possible, it inherently devalues this existence and provide justification or explanation for the most grievous suffering.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Wow... Pretty awesome... I killed this thread... :)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

DF - I like your 4th option, but still think that the essence of God can be found in one of the three. In fact, would not option 4 fit into option 2 as regards cause/effect? I must think about that some. It is too early in the morning.

Peace/Namaste

Jeff

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

darth - does that negate the worth and therefore the need for the cosmically brief atonement? Surely lessons of good and evil (if the purpose) are equally served with or without a cruxifiction event. If we are to learn evil, that is the plan, then there is no need to worry about payng for it, surely the most awesome being doesn't need paying? ....or would allow small payments spread out over an infinite time for our minor errors of judgement - I mean come on - even teh credit card can eventually get paid off unless God made that apple far too expensive.

Seems a trick to offer a product that is too expensive to ever be paid for.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    a product that is too expensive to ever be paid for.

Careful . . . you'll have the nuevo-christian theists jumping all over that.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Maybe - but even Christ had to be half god to manage it.. I call no fair

• sizemik
    sizemik

LOL . . . it's a tough ask. That 'God saving us from ourselves' thing, after selling us out in the first place . . . now there's another can of worms.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

once religious people believe that the "next life" (no matter what you call it: Heaven, New Order, Allah's Palace etc.) is possible, it inherently devalues this existence and provide justification or explanation for the most grievous suffering.

Wow. My JW brother was talking to me about my Dad and actually said that it is better to die before Armageddon. Your sins are forgiven if you die you know. How sick is that teaching?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I am starting to understand the answer to why? Why this suffering? Why does it continue?

I can't just go rescue my JW family. I have to gradually reveal the truth to them.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hi SOG! Please do not feel responsible for reveling the truth to them! It is not possible to do that. if you meant sharing what you are learning, that is commendable, but you might make some enemies of your friends. Be prepared. Peace!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit